no surgery for me!!

Jennifer J.
on 6/16/04 11:52 am - Tampa, FL
i cant believe i gotta pay a $900.00 fee up front for the tests and stuff thats that much. there is no way can come up with that much money!!!! i dont know if theres any reason to go ahead with talking to my pcp and doing the hole insurance thing! help!!
ErikaL
on 6/16/04 1:11 pm - JAX, FL
Jennifer, What surgeon is sending you to Dr.'s that are charging that much upfront? I have Medipass and my out of pocket has only been $300.00 so far. Hang in there and let's see if someone on this board has a suggestion for you! Hugs, Erika L
kgrincewich
on 6/16/04 2:23 pm - Zephyrhills, FL
Jennifer, I just heard about the increase in Spectra's price. However, I was there last October for my surgical clearance and I know then that they were in the process of setting up payment plans. So don't give up hope yet. Call and ask them if they have made the arrangements for the payment plans. Always, Karee
Margaret F.
on 6/16/04 10:24 pm - (7-07-04)
Who is charging you that upfront.? What insurance do you have? margaret
sharein_angel
on 6/16/04 11:48 pm - Palm Harbor, FL
Medicaid paid for everything for me except nutritianist($315). Some people have had to pay for psych, depending on what doctor you have. Do you have Dr. Murr? You can try Dr. Cox in Ft. Lauderdale (954)928-0066. I think I saw on the message board that he is charging $200 up-front now. Also Dr. Rehnke in St Pete (727) 344-0640 takes Medicaid/Amerigroup and doesn't charge much up-front. I think it's $150. You will probably have to pay for psych fee for Dr. Rehnkes' partner. It can be from $200-$400, depending on if you already have had psych evaluation and what it contains in letter. So you could get away with maybe paying $350 out of pocket expense. Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions. Sharon
Luvitsunny
on 6/17/04 12:12 am - Sunny South, FL
I'm so happy with my choice to have the surgery and the weight loss. My insurance paid the bulk of my bill but I don't regret the $225 out of pocket hospital deductible or the $600 psychological fee that I had to pay out-of-pocket. With my history of failed diets and doctor's visit $825.00 was nothing! Good luck. luvitsunnyv
April B.
on 6/17/04 12:17 am - Blanchard, OK
I had my consult at Spectra last Wednesday, thank god it was only $700 then....I have Medicaid/Staywell HMO, after the evaluations they give you claim forms that you have to send in to your insurance yourself....I called Staywell and they said they would probably cover it...now we shall see cause lord knows I could use that 7oo bucks back....good luck on getting the money Jennifer I know how hard it is...I almost sold my kids for it...lol...if I would have had to come up with another 200 dollars I would have had to sell the farm and the milk with the kids... Good Luck April
Rosey I.
on 6/17/04 12:23 am - Sun Coast, FL
I was at Spectra on Tuesday and Krista was on the phone with someone explaining that they do not have their payment plan in place yet. She asked that they call her back in a week or two to see if they have the payment plan then. I suggest that you check out some of the other doctors in the area to see that they charge or hold off and call Krista in a week or two. Good luck!
Marcie_D
on 6/17/04 2:30 am - Tampa, FL
I agree it's really rediculous! I went when they only charged $700 and I lucked out that Dr. Koche was on my insurance plan, so I ended up only paying $410 out of pocket. My advice would be to check out other programs. There is the WISH center to consider and I know the guys and gals on here can recommend other great surgeons in the Tampa area. If there is a will, there's a way honey!
Brenda N.
on 6/17/04 8:53 am - Holiday, FL
jennifer, thats the bad thing about medicaide or medicare they don't pay for certain things. i had to pay $1,000.00 up front for the phyc evail, tests,and nutritionalist. then was told i have to have another $4,000.00 for the surgery.because medicare / meicaide won't pay the surgeon. so i took out a mortgage on my home i borrowed $10,000.00 and have to pay back $38,000.00 in 20 years i thought my life was worth it and if the insurance does pay for it you get the $4,000.00 back so i'm hoping and praying. good luck to you. brenda :schrug:
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views