How long is hospital stay & recovery time?

susiefls
on 6/16/04 12:45 am - Crawfordville, FL
Can anyone tell me how long they were actually in the hospital? I think I will have RNY - hopefully laproscopic, but it may need to be open (nooo!!!) How long were you off work? Thanks for any advice. The date I can apply for the surgery is August 26 - coming up soon!
Linda W.
on 6/16/04 1:25 am - Jacksonville, FL
Had open RNY on 4/12, got home 4/14 and took a total of 4 wks off work. Should have taken five. The first week back was rough. Surgery was a breeze, scar healing-little problem, but dealing with the internal changes hard. Also, stopped losing weight once I returned to work.
Susie B.
on 6/16/04 3:02 am - Crawfordville, FL
HI Linda, Thanks for your response. Why did you have an upper GI after the surgery? Does everyone go through that? I just had an all-over GI (upper, lower and everyplace in-between!) due to severe pain in my left side. The only good thing I have to say about drinking 2 sixteen ounce glasses of barium is that the second glass went down much easier after they gave me a mega-pain medication shot. I highly resommend strong narcotics if you have to drink barium! LOL Have a happy day, Susie
SimplyRedHead
on 6/16/04 1:45 am - Longwood, FL
I checked into the hospital on Wed at 6am and was released at 4pm on Friday. I had Open RNY and my scar is only six inches long I will be going back to work after 3 weeks (next Wed). I am in banking management so my job is behind a desk all day. I'm sure it will be hard going without my daily nap that I seem to need every afternoon, but I cant stand sitting at home any more, plus I feel like my brain is becoming mush. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted. Amy
Susie B.
on 6/16/04 2:59 am - Crawfordville, FL
Hi Amy, Thanks so much for your response. Just trying to guess how much time I'll be off work is driving me nuts! I'm the only legal assistant for 8 attorneys in our office and five more outside the office. Boy, are they going to appreciate me when I return! Have a happy day, Susie
catlady
on 6/16/04 2:20 am - Ft Gaines, GA
I had open RNY was in the hospital from Tues to Sunday with some bllod pressue issues. Normally would have gone home Fri or Sat. I was then off work 6 weeks. I could have gone back earlier but to the severe changes my body went thru. I needed the time at home to adjust. I am still going thru some at 3 months. I think it all depends on the person and the issues they are handling. more detailed info you can check out my profile.
Susie B.
on 6/16/04 2:57 am - Crawfordville, FL
Hi Martha, Thanks for the response. I read your profile and I would like to know what a G-Tube is and why they left it in you? Have a happy day, Susie Rizzo
MissPriss
on 6/16/04 3:46 am - North, FL
Hi, Susie - I had lap RNY on Tuesday around 1pm and left the hospital on Friday around 3pm. That was 18 months ago, and my cousin just recently had the same surgery and his stay was cut down by 1 day. I was off work for 2 weeks, then went back for partial days for 2 weeks, then full time ever since. Best of luck. Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/04 5:37 am - Tampa, FL
Susie, I had surgery Friday at 10:00a.m., went home Sunday 10:00a.m., so I was in the hospital 48 hours. I worked from home starting 4 days after surger(2 days after I got home), went back to work 12 days after surgery. I hope this helps.
Lauretta
on 6/16/04 8:10 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
I was in the hospital 4 days for open rny- I am still on leave x 13 weeks due to my work situation. I could have gone back at 6 weeks maybe sooner but I would have been tired. I am 48 yr old and have severe arthritis in one knee and work in pediatrics so that is a consideration. I am blessed to have the luxury to be home so long and adjust to my new self. laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views