List of items to take to hospital

Marla S.
on 6/15/04 12:46 am - Tampa-ish, FL
I know this is long, and some items may not be needed, but thought I would share. I found this on a profile and thought it was great. What I'm taking to the hospital: toothbrush and toothpaste wear sweats to the hospital and wear home baby lotion (the smell of it is very soothing) hair brush/comb antibacterial hand cleaner scrunchie for hair sandals with velcro fasteners (I hate slippers) or thongs sleeping socks (I like my tootsies warm) pair of shorts to wear when the foley comes out pull-over shirt that I modified with snaps down both sides (I don't like wearing hospital gowns) chapstick or lip balm (post-op your mouth will feel full of sand and lips will be very dry) The Enquirer and other rag mags your eye glasses and case notebook and pen child's sippy cup CPAP machine (if you use one) a few dollars for the phone and TV deposit address book with all my phone numbers ladies bring sanitary protection or if you forget the hospital will supply you with pads, but they won't have the sticky strip to keep them in place if you think you'll have a hard time wiping yourself after surgery, you can go to a dollar store and invest in a pair of tongs or a large wooden spoon to wrap the toilet paper around. It might save you an embarrassing moment with the nurses. It inexpensive and later you can just chuck it if you are always too hot, check beforehand to see if you can bring a portable fan or if the hospital will provide one for you I brought a disposable camera so I could take before pictures and after I also made up a paper to give the nursing staff when I'm taken to the floor. You'll be asked to give those medical history questions again so I gave them this: It has my name, age, BMI, DOB, SSAN, height, weight, address, home/fax/cell/work phone, work address, e-mail, religion, blood type Spouse info: name, work title, work address, home/fax/cell/work phone, e-mail List of all my doctors: Primary care, bariatric surgeon, gastroenterology, pulmonologist, cardiologist, ob/gyn, ophthmalmologist, otolaryngologist, orthopedic. Include all addresses and phone/fax numbers List all of your medical conditions List all drug/latex/tape/food/dye/seasonal allergies List all current medications, what dosage, when you take your pills and on your surgery day annotate what drug you took and when you took it List all your over-the-counter (prn) medications and any vitamins and herbs you take: List you surgical history: Type of surgery, date of surgery, surgeon(s), place of surgery Other hospitalizations: Reason for admission, date of admission, place of admission Immunizations: List any you have had, date of immunizations Childhood diseases: List which disease, date of disease List recent diagnostic test: Type of test, date of test, who performed test and place of test List other diagnostic tests: Type of test, date of test, who performed test and place of test Other: List if using a CPAP machine and its setting. You will have to bring it to the hospital Very last entry in big bold letters: I HAVE AN ADVANCE DIRECTIVE Marla
nursecharming
on 6/15/04 1:07 am - Central, FL
Marla, Thanks for posting this list I may not need it right now but I am copying and pasting it for safe keeping for the future!! Have a great day1 Linda R
Marla S.
on 6/15/04 1:30 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Linda you are welcome. The list was not mine, I found it on a profile. Thought it was well thought out. Marla
Micmomof3
on 6/15/04 1:08 am - Jacksonville, fl
Marla, Thank you! I saved this list. What great idea's and it saves me from asking this question again when it's my time. Michelle
Marla S.
on 6/15/04 1:29 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Michelle, you are most welcome. Some of the items you may not need. But it is such a complete list I just had to share. Marla
Lexa321
on 6/15/04 2:59 am - weston, FL
marla, hay girly.. thanks for the list... i didnt even think if more then half the stuff...your a time saver!!!
Marla S.
on 6/15/04 4:33 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Alexa, I did not make up the list, just found it and passed it on. Marla
jolli
on 6/15/04 4:31 am - FL
Not my time yet either, but I'm optomistic about everything turning out right, ao I copied and pasted also! Thanks Marla, Johanna
Marla S.
on 6/15/04 4:49 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Johanna, You are most welcome, I borrowed the list from a members profile. When the time comes, you will have it! Marla
Jan Ocala
on 6/15/04 11:03 am - Ocala, FL
Marla, that is one impressive list. The last item is really pretty important. We should all have advance directives in place. We should have a health care surrogate who knows what our wishes are in case we can't answer for ourselves. Thanks for the list. I'm off to buy an Enquirer NOW so I have one ready!! HA!! Pre-Op Jan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views