heart palpitations???

forever2r1
on 6/9/04 12:29 pm - miami, FL
Hello everyone...i'm fairly new to this site..and let me just say I really, really love it and I love the support everyone gives each other . I recently got a pre-approval from my insurance company for my surgery, and am having my psych. evaluation on 7/1/04 . My personal cardiologist though, told me that I have tachycardia...my heart races pretty bad, going (120-130 bpm resting). He told me that NO surgeon will even touch me with my heart racing like that . He then told me that I needed to lose weight (surprising right??? i'm 5-3, 245). I am taking medicine for the tachycardia (Toprol XL twice a day), and for my blood pressure and have started walking. Now my question is...has anyone had or heard of anything similar to this, do i have any hope? I so confused and depressed , please help....I really need all the support I can get right now. Thanks so much, love u all Mady
T. S.
on 6/10/04 12:05 am - Sunrise, FL
Hi Mady, I have supraventricular tachycardia and take Toprol XL once a day. They told me I was born with extra electrical connections in my heart. My heart only raced occasionally. Now I take the Toprol which prevents it from racing. I wonder if our conditions are similar. In addition to the cardiologist, I see a cardiologist that specializes in arrythmias (electrophysiologist) yearly. They told me I could take the Torpol or I could have a procedure called radio-frequency ablation to correct the arrythmia. Anyway, before I was diagnosed with the tachycardia, I had gallbladder surgery and back surgery without incident. I asked the cardiologist what would have happened if my heart had started racing while in surgery and he said, "they would have called me." He didn't sound like it was a life threatening event. Maybe you could see an electrophysiologist to get a more in-depth opinion. Best of luck! Terri
forever2r1
on 6/10/04 4:00 am - miami, FL
HI Terri, thanks for replying. I'll look into going to an electrophysiologist, sounds like a great idea. My cardiologist did tell me that what i have is sinus tachycardia...i'm not sure how different that may be to yours, but I know that for the most part...it's always racing...it's very annoying. Before I started taking my meds, I would even feel my heart do double beats and some where so strong, I really thought I was going to fall over. Now its alot better, but like I said when my meds wear off, my tachycardia kicks in again. I hope that I can still have surgery safely thanks for everything, Mady
BECCA775
on 6/10/04 2:49 am - BUNNELL, FL
Hi Mady! I was having the exact same problems has you before my surgery. My heart would often beat as high 170. I am 11 weeks post op now and haven't taken toprol since the day I was operated on. My surgeon did know that I had tachycardia and high bp. These are just comorbidities for the morbidly obese. If anything I feel like this condition helped me get approval for surgery they sure didn't stop my surgeon from operating. My cardiologist was not for my having the surgery either but he got over it. Also, have you limited or stopped your caffine intake? I was very addicted to soda and I think that was a lot of my problem with the rapid heart beat. My heart still beats between 90-100 and I often get palpitations when it's that time of the month but otherwise I am fine.
forever2r1
on 6/10/04 4:10 am - miami, FL
hi rebecca, thanks for your response. My tachycardia sounds like the one you had...it was constant. (I can't wait for mine to be gone). You know, I don't drink caffeine, i limit my salt intake, and my sugar too...nothing but the meds help. My rate has gone up to 150 when I had my holster on, but usually between 120-130 and as you know...it sucks. I can't even exercise, my heart goes nuts. Either way, thanks for your advice..you and terri's advice have made me feel a million times better about my chances for the surgeries. I hope all is going well for you...and thanks a million Mady
Mirabelle
on 6/10/04 7:39 am
I have the palpitations as well...though recently my pressure has been very normal for over a month now, I have been trying to stop the ToprolXL but the pulse is still 90 and over. Last night I had to give in and take 1/2 pill. Reason I am trying to get off it is I have a horrible rash reaction to it. Been going on since June 15, 2001...3 yrs of trying to figure out what I was allergic to and this was it. I take my pressure many time a day and it is holding but the feeling like a train is running through me is what makes me crazy...three nights this week I was awake 24 hrs.
forever2r1
on 6/10/04 9:05 am - miami, FL
hi Ginny, I know that feeling...I also tell my husband that the palpitations make me feel like my heart just wants to come out thru my mouth...you can see me pulse just by looking at the side of my neck...its really bad....were you able to have surgery like that??? any problems..? let me know and thanks for responding... Mady
Mirabelle
on 6/10/04 9:46 am
Oh Mady I wish I could say my surgery was over and I was back down to my regular weight but I had all my tests completed, got a call my insurance was paying then nothing for months...I never even got to see the surgeon he decided Tricare Prime (retired military ins.) was not going to pay him enough and if he accepted the payment he is not allowed to bill me for anything more. Grrrrrrr I am in the process of finding someone I feel comfortable with who is not out of town. My primary doctor knows of course I have this problem and he didn't seem to think it would be a problem having WLS. I really am trying to get it under control without the Toprol XL since I am allergic to it... I don't believe this is from gaining 80 lbs over the last 3 years, I had it all my life and my highest weight unitl 2001 was 122...other than pregnacy and that was over 33 yrs ago. Talk about being depressed and over 50 UGH
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views