Any info on BCBS Blue Choice?

ktdidfl
on 6/8/04 11:45 pm - Palm Harbor, FL
Does anyone have any recent information on BCBS Blue Choice as far as approvals? After a L-O-N-G journey with United Health Care (and being denied, even after 2 appeals), I have begun my journey again with BCBS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Shayna T.
on 6/9/04 1:59 am - Miami, FL
It's probably going to depend on your policy. A few months ago, BC/BS made public that they were going to completely discontinue coverage of gastric bypass by the end of the year in Florida. cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/03/03/gastric.bypass.ap/ Hopefully you'll get this link and be able to read it before it gets pulled. Be sure to add the http:// and the www before the link to read the story. ~ T. Miami, FL
Suzy A.
on 6/9/04 1:57 pm - Plantation, FL
I called today and they do not pay for gastric bypass for any health reason....good luck....sorry
Jackie C.
on 6/9/04 10:21 pm - Florahome, FL
Depends on your policy dates. I received the letter that they weren't going to cover WLS beginning 1/1/05 for my policy. I am covered thru 12/31/04 and surgery must be done by then, no exceptions. I called our company's BC/BS rep to get more info, rather than just the 800 # on the insurance card because they told me WLS was not covered anymore. They cannot do this if you enroll under one plan, they cannot change the plan in the middle of the program, it can be changed for the next enrollment period - this is what I fall under. One of their requirements on my plan, is that you have to have been on a 6-month dr supervised diet, with monthly weigh-ins. Time is of the essence if you have BC/BS.
Marla S.
on 6/10/04 12:38 pm - Tampa-ish, FL
A few words from another BCBS person. They will not approve without 6 months diet under a medical person. You must weight in monthly, the visit can only be for weight/diet or related weight problems. Do not combine with cold, sore toe and etc. Must have at least 5 years of documentation of over weight, does not have to be what you weigh now, can be less, or more, just records going back 5 years. Get letters from every doctor you have seen stating it is medically necessary, describe health conditions resulting from weight, another words, cover all bases. You only get two appeals and you are out! I called BCBS and had them fax me a list of requirements. That was a great help. Good luck! Marla
Jeanne M.
on 6/13/04 8:49 pm - Ocala, FL
I am a BC/BS insured as well. I made sure I had all the info they required. I called and asked what they needed and then go a confirmation # from them regarding our conversation. They must cover you unitl Dec 31st. After that they will not. You will to have 6 consecutive months of doctor supervised diet (sometime in the last 2 years) before they will consider you for approval. If you get someone on the phone that says they no longer cover it, ask for the superivsor or call again. There is also a class action suit against BC/BS for not covering the surgery in the future. If you call a lawyer you should get approved (if you meet the requirements.) If you don't have the 6 months under your belt already you will need to start now. Call your PCP (even just for a weigh in)TODAY! Make an appointment for July 1st through December 1st. While you are going to the monthly weigh in, see the pysche doc, the nutritionist and have your PCP write a letter of necessity and see the surgeon. All the record collection and letter writting can take up to two to three months. By the time December 1st rolls around you will have everything you need and will have the surgery before they pull the insurance. Keep a record or copies of EVERYTHING and write a notebook of who you spoke to and what was said. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views