HELP, I need your HELP Please

Marilyn A.
on 6/8/04 9:26 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi everyone: All of you have been such a God sent to me in my new quest for my WLS and I want to thank all of you in advance but I need your help I recently (yesterday) went in for what I thought was my 1st appt. to see Dr. Webb. Well as it turned out my appt was with LWLSC (laparoscopic weight loss surgery center) and not Dr. Webb. I met with a lovely lady (Susan) who was Dr. Webb's 1st lap paitent. This was very nice and she told me wonderful things about Dr. Webb for that I am grateful. Then Susan proceeded to tell me about LWLSC and how I would have to purchase their program in order for Dr. Webb to even see me. This confused me quite a bit. It appears that LWLSC is an after care program which costs $6,000.00 I was taken back quite a bit by this information. I questioned here about what LWLSC did and Susan informed me that I would receive a free gym membership (but they don't have any contracts yet with any gym's apparently it's still in the works) and I would receive assistance from a licensed diatician (but they have not hired one yet) and I would have phone support (Susan is a RN so she was the support staff). They are a staff of 3 people who all I could really see didn't offer anything more than phone support and they would submit my information to BCBS/FL. I called BCBS when I left their office as Susan said their services would not be covered through BCBS/FL and they told me that LWLSC was a 3rd party and I should not have to be required to go through them that the doctor's office should be able to submit all my documentation for requesting surgery. I don't have an extra $6000.00 to give to anyone. and feel like I'm being cheated some how. Susan did mention walking groups @ the mall that they were planning on organizing but nothing in place as of yet. Has anyone else come across this requirement? I know there are Dr. Webb's paitents out there can you help? What do you all think about this? Oh did I mention Susan said I would have the assistance of a personal trainner too? (But they haven't hired one yet). Please HELP please e-mail me with your answers. [email protected] (e-mail) Thank you, Marilyn
rlike1
on 6/8/04 9:55 pm - Orange Park, FL
Marilyn, When I first started thinking seriously about this surgery, I went to listen to 3 different surgeons at their information sessions, Dr. Webb being one of them. I liked the idea of having the surgery laproscopically as Dr. Webb does, but didn't like the low # of surgerys he's performed or the "up front" cash he requires. I don't have BCBS, I have Aetna, so I don't know what your options are surgeon-wise. I also went to see Dr Sooriash and Dr Yasrebi. While a bit disappointed they do not perform laproscopic surgery, in the end I felt they had far more experience and it didn't feel like I was being "sold", like an infomercial, like I did when I listened to Dr. Webb's presentation. In the end, Dr. Yasrebi felt like the best fit to me and I found out he is who my insurer uses anyway, so it worked out perfectly. I am scheduled to have surgery with him 7/15 so of course I can't give you results yet, but I can say the journey thus far has been great with him and he does not require a crazy down payment. This is just my opinion of course, but obviously you're putting a lot of time and thought into this surgery so I think you can be confident that you could find your own gym and walking group should you desire. So, why pay all that money for someone to do it for you? Hope this helps and I pray that you will make the best decision that's right for you. Good luck !!
Marilyn A.
on 6/8/04 10:03 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Thank you for taking the time to answer me. Yes I agree about finding my own group and gym membership (I already have one of those). I wonder if Dr. Sooriash or Dr. Yasrebi take BC/BCFL HMO? I will have to look into that. I like the idea of having my sugery done locally here in Jacksonville. Thank you again so much for taking the time to respond. God Bless you and I will be saying prayers for you and congratulations on your date. Marilyn
Wildcat Lady
on 6/8/04 10:22 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Marilyn, Just wanted to let you know Yasrebi doesn't accept BCBS. I don't know about the other guy. I too would prefer to find someone here locally, however there is no one here I've heard much about (Good or bad), I just don't think I could trust anyone here in Jax to do it, that's why I've been seeking outside but close to Jax.
ErikaL
on 6/9/04 9:18 am - JAX, FL
Sorry, Dr. Sooriash doesn't either. Hugs, Erika
ErikaL
on 6/8/04 10:43 pm - JAX, FL
Marilyn, Try this doctor in Gainesville: Stanley Deturis, M.D. Phone Number : 352-331-1201 Hugs, Erika L
Brenda N.
on 6/9/04 6:35 am - Holiday, FL
hi marilyn,i'm sort of going through the same thing you are i have medicare/medicaide, at first i had to come up with $1,000.00 for the shake mix you need to drink 2 weeks prior to surgery,vitimins,1 year membership to a gym in largo. which i live in newport richey so i will never drive that far to exercise because i have them close to me .and the nutitionalist. then i was told i have to sighn a note that i have to pay another 4,000.00 up front because my insurance hasent been paying the surgeon.they pay the hospital and everything else but not the surgeon. it seems strange.but if they do pay i will get my $4,000.00 back. it was such a struggle to come up with the $1,000.00 i don't have any idea how i'll get the other $4,000.00 i thought about getting a mortgage on my home. so i ask for $10,000.00 and they want me to pay back $38,000.00 at $160.00 month for 20 years as bad as i want this surgery i can't see paying that much.i'm really praying about it brenda ;crazy::schrug:
Jan Ocala
on 6/9/04 10:25 am - Ocala, FL
Marilyn, if this deal felt like a scam it probably was. Listen to your inner voice. If you don't feel comfortable with this set up, don't do it!! I this this sounds very fishy to me. They want all that money, but have no way to provide you with anything!!! As for anyone else who has insurance but is required to pay $$ up front, I'd not only check your policy, but also call the insurance commisioner's office as this may not be kosher either, but then again with insurance companies, who knows?? Best of luck to....us ALL I guess!!! Pre-Op Jan
L M F.
on 6/9/04 10:52 am - Sherman Oaks, CA
My doctor is one of the finest! His name is Dr. Abbas Shariat. His number is 904-246-9464. He is one of the finest men I've ever met. He takes good care of you. He took excellent care of me. I think he takes BCBS. Call to confirm. Lisa VBG- 415/350/-65
Marla S.
on 6/10/04 12:54 pm - Tampa-ish, FL
Marilyn, this smells like a scam to me. Why not call your insurance company and ask them for a list of doctors/surgeons they cover? I did that with BCBS. They told me several doctors in Tampa area and other areas in FL. I would think long and hard before I gave anyone $6000. for programs that have not been set up and that you would not use. Heck, you can go to any mall and walk! And it is free! Good hunting. Marla
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views