ADDICTION: Diet coke

Lexa321
on 6/6/04 5:17 am - weston, FL
ok..so i know that we cant have diet coke after sugery... (execpt if its flat) i dont drink coke cause it taste good... i drink it cause of the carbination... i dont know another way to get the bubbles after sugery... any suggestions on how to break my new found addiction?
Micmomof3
on 6/6/04 6:23 am - Jacksonville, fl
Lexa, Hey there! I also have an addiction, but it's not Diet Coke. It's regular Coke! I know thats even worse! I drink almost a 2lt. a day it's that bad. I think my addiction also comes from the carbonation plus the flavor. Ever since my return from Ft. Lauderdale I have reduced the amount of coke I drink and raised the amount of water I drink. I told myself I was going to quit cold turkey. Thats just not going to happen though! My son who is 7yrs. old says everyday "momma remember what the doctor said, you need to drink water so you can be healthy." Hell, even he knows it's not good for me. I really have no advice, just Good Luck! I plan to just slowly reduce my Coke intake until it's no more. I will completely stop 2wks prior to surgery definitly........If I have not stopped before then. Good Luck again..... Michelle~
Lexa321
on 6/6/04 7:29 am - weston, FL
girl.. im about 6 cans a day... ive tired to decrease it and i get these crazy headaches.... like i have now LOL for some reason i thught you had all girls...
ErikaL
on 6/6/04 8:05 am - JAX, FL
Alexa, I so know how you feel! I tried cutting back before and it didn't work. Since I got back from Ft. Lauderdale, I went cold turkey and it worked!!! I did have to deal with the headaches for 3 or 4 days. If you don't want to go cold turkey, try flavored carbonated water to wean yourself off of the carbonation. Good Luck! Hugs, Erika L
BarbieCarroll
on 6/6/04 9:17 am - Norcross, GA
Alexa, It was REALLY hard to stop the diet coke! I couldn't stop before surgery - my thinking was that I needed it as much as possible - since I couldn't have it later. I didn't drink at all after surgery for first 3 mos. Then I tried some that was a little flat over lots of ice. I was happy to say that I really didn't even want it. Now I only crave it when I go to the movies (rarely) popcorn (sans the butter) and a small diet coke - lots of ice. My theory - you're going to be restricted so much your first couple of months after surgery that coke (or diet) will be the least of your concerns. Good luck - you'll be fine! Barbie 281/217/150ish
catlady
on 6/6/04 9:24 am - Ft Gaines, GA
Your taste also changes after surgery. I did have a regular pepsi about 2 months out. I seemed to just crave it. It did not taste the same. I later tried one flat and it took care of the craving. Now when I get that craving, I get an icee. That seems to work for me. I make it is the middle of the day when I am trying to get my fluids in so if I get gas and need to burp it out...it is ok. Sometimes, there are ways to compromise. The only reason you cannot have the carbination is the gas and it takes up room in your little tiny stomach.
Bieniasz
on 6/6/04 8:55 pm - Tampa, FL
Hi Alexa- I know that all Dr's are different, mine allows us to have Diet soda's if we can tolerate them. I started drinking them again about 2 months post-op...honestly I didn't want them before that. Now I have some diet pepsi almost everyday!!! At first it was a big adjustment getting used to the carbonation again....I used to drink at least a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi a day...so I know how you feel. Don't worry..it will all work out! Best of luck. Lori 222/168/1?? laprny 1-6-04
jolli
on 6/6/04 10:21 pm - FL
Hi Lexa, I did a case study on the carbonated drinks about a year ago, (a project for university) what I discovered was Especially for us ladies, we can have 4 eight ounce glasses of vit. D whole milk a day (you know for calcium and all) and with just 6 ounces of soda we completely erase all the calcium intake! Did you know that the original Coke family, didn't go near the stuff! For more proof of how bad this stuff really is, my PE professor at the univ. (the one I did the project for)! had undergone years of elbow pain and chronic knee pain and she was acostumed to drinking one diet coke every evening for dinner, she also had vit. d and calcium supplements to her daily routine. I challenged her to stop drinking just that one diet coke a day for a week to see if she noticed a difference. The following week she had more flexibility in her arms, (because of the pain in her elbows she couldn't extend her arms completely anymore for years!) she was so amazed and thankful for my report. Needless to say I got an A in that class! Personally I haven't had a soda in about 4 or 5 years. Hopes this helps you defeat your cravings Johanna 8-l
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views