Questions

Bobbie R.
on 6/6/04 12:36 am - Lake City, FL
I have been post-op for about a week and a half now and am feeling pretty good. I have quite a few questions I hope some of you can answer or point me in a direction where I can get some answers. First this G tube is so annoying and I have been having pain in my side where it is, does that get any better or not until it comes out? Then there are the concerns of not getting enough water or protein. I am luck to get 25 ounces of water in a day sometimes it hurts even when I just sip on water, does that get better? My main concern is protein and hair loss. I am able to get one protein shake down in the morning about 20grms of protein then I eat cottage cheese in the evening, I just don't have an appetite for anything. Does this get better? Can any one tell me about their experience with hair loss and what they did? thanks a bunch bobbie
ErikaL
on 6/6/04 4:46 am - JAX, FL
Hi Bobbie, I'm pre-op, so I can't answer all of your questions. I have heard many post-ops say that if it hurt them to sip cold water soon after surgery, that they would try drinking it at room temperature. I hope this helps! Hugs, Erika L
Jan Ocala
on 6/6/04 9:23 am - Ocala, FL
Bobbie, I'm glad you're feeling pretty good, but you're really not getting in enough liquid. I agree to try it at a different temperature. I've also heard from others that it helps. Also you're so new post-op that of course all this gets better with time. Are you already having a hair loss problem? I would have thought it would be a while before this started to occur. As for the G-tube, I never knew that they actually hurt, but all my patients have been old and they never have complained about pain with it. A few dementia patients have pulled it out, however, so maybe there is pain! I'm sure things will get better for you, but your first priority is to try to increase the amount of water!! Hugs, Pre-Op Jan
catlady
on 6/6/04 9:31 am - Ft Gaines, GA
Bopbbie: I was ready to get on my hands and knees for the G tube to come out. My theory was that my body was rejecting it and that is why it hurt. It hurt around the muscle when I got up and down. The pain went away as soon as the G tube was taken out. You need to get more liquids in. I use a blender and crush my ice and made icees. The colder the better for me. I am one that has been unable to drink the protein drinks. So I used milk, cheese, eggs. My protein was not important the first month as the liquids. You should have a nutrionist that is telling you this. I went to the beautician this week and I have no hair loss and she said my hair looks really healthy as that is a concern of mine. Again I used milk, egg and cheese and now meats to get my protein and I seem to be doing well. I have lost 60 lbs since 3/16. Contact me any time you have questions if you want.
Fancy
on 6/6/04 9:36 am - Pensacola, FL
Hi Bobbie, That G tube is a booger. It will hurt until it comes out, then it is immediate relief. Don't worry about the protein so much right now. Your knew tummy is healing. The more your heal the more you will be able to tolerate protein. You do however need to get your water up. Try drinking crystal lite, eating sugar free popsicles, eating sugar free jello. That all counts as liquid. Hang in there it gets easier. Hugzzz, Jan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views