BC/BSFL HMO Surgens info Needed

Marilyn A.
on 6/3/04 9:32 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Help everyone, if you have BC/BSFL HMO and have found a surgen who accepts this insurance please let me know who they are and what your experiences have been with both Doctor and Insurance Company. I live in the Jacksonville Florida area so of course a surgen who is local is ever so attractive but I'm willing to travel. I had an appt with Dr. Thoburn's office in Gainesville, FL and was informed because I lost 9lbs and now weigh 220 (I'm 5'3) the doctor would not consider me for surgery until I was at least 100lbs overweight. I have diabetis, high cholestorel, GERD, Asthma and the list goes on and on. Can any of you wonderful people help me in searching for another surgen who will consider me because I am 39.6 BMI. Help I need your help desperatly, I fear because of my diabetis gaining more weight to qualify for this surgen my health will suffer :angust: more than it already has. Can you help? Please feel free to e-mail me @ my office. [email protected] as I want to get on the road to great health. Thank you so very much, all of you have been a godsend. Thanks, Marilyn
Lexa321
on 6/4/04 1:07 am - weston, FL
i probley shuoldnt say this.. but i am anyway... cant you gain 10 lbs to lose 100?
jlgeroni
on 6/4/04 1:37 am - Port Richey, FL
The magic numbers are BMI of 40 with no co-morbidities, or 35 with co-morbidities. If this surgeon won't consider you at a BMI of 39.6 with the co-morbidities you have, I would absolutely find another surgeon. Having said that, since I'm not in your area and have no experience with BCBS HMO (I had the PPO until this year, and there were many surgeons under that plan), I can't help you specifically with a surgeon. But if you go to "Find a Doc" at the top of the page, and look in Florida, you can find a list of surgeons. Check each one out, and there should be a link to see what insurance their patients have used. There should also be a web site for BCBS that has a list of providers that you can compare with. Good luck! Janice
catlady
on 6/4/04 6:02 am - Ft Gaines, GA
I used Dr Thburn and was very pleased and I have bcbs/hmo
Marilyn A.
on 6/4/04 12:02 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I went last Friday for my 1st appt with Dr. Thoburn's office. Upon my stepping on the schale and my weight now being 220 LuAnn from Dr. Thoburn's office said and I quote "The doctor will not see you even though you have several co-morbidies because you weigh 9lbs under the 100lb requirements" end quote. LuAnn then went further and stated that she would be happy to inform the office that if I wanted to come back in a few weeks to re-weigh in to get me in right away and not have me delay. She would not come right out and say Marilyn go home and gain 10lbs but that's what she insinuated by my coming back in a few weeks to see if I now was the 100lb requirements that Dr. Thoburn required. I was mortified by this especially since I was recently diagnosed with diabetis and have been working so hard to get my sugar under control and that has resulted in me loosing some wieght. Well, I am not going to let this get me down. I just came back from an appt with my PCP *****ferred me to Dr. Thoburn and he was extreemely upset as he feers between my high cholestorel and diabetis and additional 10 to 20 lbs may cause me to have a stroke. So my PCP has now referred me to Dr. Webb who is local in Jacksonville where I live. I called there today and have an appt for next Tuesday @ 3. I can't belive my luck 5 days from today. I waited 2 months for my 1st appt with Dr. Thoburn only to be turned down. I guess I was most upset as I would benifit health wise from the surgery. This surgery will probably save my life, eliminate my diabetius completely and reduce my high blood pressure and high cholestorel. Wish me luck and thank you for responding. I appreciate your support. Marilyn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views