Three-Year Anniversary

muskrat641
on 6/1/04 1:36 pm - Tampa, FL
Today marks three years ago I had my surgery. I started this journey at 290 lbs., got down to 124, and am now at 150. Yeah. I know. Sigh. I've really been beating myself up over my weight gain, and I know it's TOTALLY my fault. I have not used my tool as effectively as I should have. That being said, I still today celebrated another WLS victory. Prior to my surgery, I suffered from severe asthma, both restrictive (due to my size) and obstructive (self-explanatory). I was on oxygen 24/7, steroids, nebulizer treatments, inhalers, oral medication ... and I was still sick all the time. My asthma has been basically non-existent since my surgery and I have not needed any medication, but I recently caught a cold, which of course turned into infectious bronchitis ... and my asthma reared it's ugly head. I had a follow-up appointment today with my pulmonologist, and he did a spirometric evaluation to measure my lung capacity and my ability to exhale. A few months prior to surgery, my lung capacity was 50% (and I am not nor have I ever been a smoker) and the volume of air I was able to exhale was 62%. Today, my lung capacity was 99% and I was able to exhale 86%. I don't post here often because I'm a self-proclaimed "backslider." But today was a reminder of the sheer miracle of WLS. I truly believe it saved my life. I have to remind myself that this is a never-ending journey and it's up to me and ONLY me to pick myself up and get back on track and to effectively use this precious tool I am so very fortunate to have. So, as of this very minute, it's protein, water and exercise for me .. and no grazing! I can do this ... I MUST do this! I've come too far to let myself down. Ok ... I purged ... I feel better now ... and tomorrow is a new day! Linda 290/124/150/114 (something is wrong with this picture, but nothing I can't fix!)
Lexa321
on 6/2/04 12:17 am - weston, FL
well first i must say... congrulations on your weight loss... i dont have any powerful words to say right now... BUT you are WELCOME to post here any time you feel nessicary.. ill be lookin for ya Lexa
Marla S.
on 6/2/04 2:19 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Oh Linda, I am so proud to see a 3 yr vet post. You have done so well and came so far! I really want to thank you for thinking of us on your anniversary. Now we can congrat you! I am pre-op, waiting on call for my date. All has been approved. So your post was a great uplift (is that a word?) to me. Thanks again and way to go girl! Marla
ErikaL
on 6/2/04 12:03 pm - JAX, FL
Linda, Congratulations on your success! It always helps us newbies to hear from a veteran. I am so glad that you got your health back! I have a first cousin with severe asthma who is waiting on a lung transplant to save her life. Keep fighting the good fight!!! Hugs, Erika L
Iris K.
on 6/3/04 2:53 am - Chancellor, AL
Linda, congratulations on what you have accomplished and good luck with getting back to losing. I just read an interesting article where a woman had regained all her weight in 15 years, and then relost it using the same pouch techniques. It is at http://www.gastricbypassfamily.com/PouchRules.html. I haven't had the surgery yet but am researching as much as I can. Take care.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views