How do I get started when I can't find a surgeon to talk to me??????

newlifefor3
on 5/31/04 8:06 pm - Naples, FL
I have been trying to get a surgeon in Naples Florida to talk to me and no one seems to want to help....How do you find out who and when if they won't even give you the time of day???? I even had one nurse treat me like I was garbage because of my size!!!!! Like I don't know I'm fat!!!! Same old story!!!!! But if they are here to help what is the problem with them????? It's not like they aren't making a REALLY BIG PILE OF MONEY!!!!! They make about $20,000 to $45,000 dollars per suregery!!!!! If I was making that kind of money....I would be looking to help people get hooked up with the surgery!!!!! Where are all the people that are supposed to help you get this done....I'm frusterated as you can tell...No one seems to want to help you get what you need done...Or at least tell you what you need to do.....HELP!!!!!!!
BullDog Lady
on 5/31/04 8:54 pm - Somewhere GREAT!
Janice, You could research this board under docs. There are many great doctors on this board that deal with WLS every day. Just a thought! BullDog Lady
newlifefor3
on 5/31/04 11:54 pm - Naples, FL
Thank you ladies for all the helpful responses!!!!! I was beginning to think I was all alone here!!!! But I will try both Dr. Cox and Dr. Murr.....I remember reading somewhere that Dr. Murr's office does all the leg work and all you have to do is go...So of course I will try him first to make sure I know what I'm doing....But if Dr. Murr is the only taking medicaid now....It looks like it will have to be him.....Keep me posted on any changes you might hear of....I'll still be here too...Janice
ErikaL
on 5/31/04 9:50 pm - JAX, FL
Hi Janice, I went through the same thing! The reason you're having such a hard time is because Medicaid stopped paying as much to the hospitals. The hospitals loose about $3,000 on each patient. The only Dr. accepting new Medicaid patients in 2004 is Dr. Cox in Ft. Lauderdale. He is working with 3 hospitals, so they are able to spread the loss out between those 3. Call and get the info packet sent to you from his office. (954)928-0066 Good luck, Erika L
sharein_angel
on 5/31/04 10:43 pm - Palm Harbor, FL
you are going to have to do ALL the testing over being most of them are only good for a year and you had yours done three years ago. Dr. Cox is the only doctor that's accepting Medicaid right now that I know of. There may be one in Gainsville. I would start scheduling the test while you are waiting for the info pack. Medicaid is probably not going to cover WLS as of Jan 2005, like a lot of the insurance companies. SO you are going to have to rush to get everything done. You can start out also by getting in touch with your pcp and asking him to write a letter of "medical neccesary" to Dr. Cox (if that's who you pick for a surgeon)and give you referrals to get the test done right away. You will also need a list of all the diets you have tried and your health history. Good luck.....Sharon
April B.
on 5/31/04 11:20 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hi there Janice, Dr Murr in Tampa takes Medicaid HMO's, he does his surgery through Tampa General, hope this helps you out a little...have a great day and keep searching. April OH "Where the seeds of friendship blossom!!"
Margaret F.
on 6/1/04 12:06 am - (7-07-04)
The Cleveland Clinic in Naples does WLS. So does Dr. Benitez in Ft. Myers.margaret
ErikaL
on 6/1/04 12:11 am - JAX, FL
The Cleveland Clinic isn't accepting anymore medicaid patients this year. Sorry! Erika
Margaret F.
on 6/1/04 12:13 am - (7-07-04)
I did'nt know she needed a Medicaid Doc? margaret
ErikaL
on 6/1/04 12:50 am - JAX, FL
Hi Margaret, Yeah, she needs a Dr. that accepts Medicaid. Unfortunately the Cleveland Clinic isn't taking medicaid right now, but Dr. Cox is. I called almost every doc in FL before I found him! I had to drive over 5 hours to go down there for testing last week. The good thing about it is that Dr. Cox does have a good program. I feel alot better about traveling so far now!!! Have a great week, Erika L
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views