Need to vent....

IGDiva
on 3/10/10 10:10 am - Orlando, FL
I need to vent.  Here's what's going on:

So I am writing this while hidden out at my corporate office in SLC. I have had two very annoying reoccurrences this week.

1. Not one damn person noticing or commenting on my weight loss. Granted this is a very narcissistic group, but come on!
  2. When people hear that I have had WLS commenting that they, “could never give up their food or Coca-Cola".

I met an old acquaintance for lunch last weekend, instead of telling me I looked good or making note of my Weight Loss, she says, “So how many times have you had to go shopping?". Seriously? WTF? Now granted there may be some jealousy there as last time she saw me, she was smaller than me, but why can’t you just say something nice?

In regards to giving up Coke or food, I truly don’t feel like I have given up anything. Coke? Umm no headaches since I stopped drinking it. Food? My choices are slightly limited, but in a few months I won’t have any limitations besides no alcohol, no juices, no white carbs, and no soda. No big deal.

Ok, so am I overreacting? Or am I justified in my irritation?

Lisa
HW 380/SW303/CW203  
southernusbelle
on 3/10/10 10:30 am
Unfortunately most people don't see beyond the end of the arm because they are so self absorbed in their own stuff.

Years ago I lost around 100 lbs and was scared that people did notice. I was sick of my weight being all they seen when they looked at me.

I never wanted to talk everyday about my weight it was like quitting smoking and getting the darn emails from the chantix company everyday just to remind you about cigarettes.

I decided with my lap band journey to let my current office know it was ok to ask questions. For the most part I think it is a difficult subject for others to approach not knowing what to say to someone.

I think your disappointment is that you have an expectation for others and how you believe they should react. Almost like expecting a husband to buy a dozen roses for your birthday without telling him that is what you would like.

Know here in this forum, we support each other. Getting your health back and loosing is work. It is a big acheivement and you should carry yourself proud. Regardless of what external validation you are able to gather, find that strength from within and marvel at the work you did for you. 

What is it Toni Morrison says, "Step into yourself." allow yourself to feel the strength of your progress, And CONGRATULATIONS.
 outa here    
MzDiane
on 3/10/10 7:48 pm - Apopka, FL
I think you have brought up something very interesting.  Do we put more into what others sees in us and do we need validation of getting the weight off?  Gives me something to think about for sure.  So much in my life I have heard the snide comments and did everything I could to act as if I didn't but maybe I would expect to hear the good comments too.  We, as a people are strange, we are quicker to pick out and publicize others flaws than we are to publish someones accomplishments.  So, let me say...you are doing a wonderful job on yourself....Keep up the work because I know the hard work that has gone into it!
  300 lb HW / 289 lbs Pre-op /281 lbs Day Of Surgery       
emjayel56
on 3/11/10 2:32 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Unfortunately you are correct in your observations but this is pretty much the way of the world and we have all experienced it.  The best advice I can give you is not to measure your success by the feedback of others but by what you have accomplished and how you feel.  You will always get negative comments from others but you should take it with a grain of salt.  You are doing great and I wish you continued success.  Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Redhaired
on 3/12/10 11:53 pm - Mouseville, FL
I think you are overreacting.  You know, it could be as simple as they did not give a rat's ass about your weight to begin with.  Also, these days people never know what to say and how it is going to be received.  It could be they do not trust their memory of you.  If they said something and they turned out to be wrong -- that would be very embarrassing.

Don't look for validation from outside sources.  That needs to come from within -- Granted this is a very narcissistic group -- I think this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Red

annmarie62
on 3/14/10 4:28 am - Union City, CA
I THINK YOU LOOK MARVELOUS, SIMPLY MARVELOUS.

Don't let anyone bring you down.  I am getting ready for surgery the day after Easter and I have nothing but negative attitudes surrounding me.  Even my boyfriend thinks this is a waste of money....but you know, screw them all!!!

I will be looking marvelous too.  next year I will see you on the beaches in Florida.  Whoo hoo.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views