Can I handle moving to FL?

Sarahlicious
on 5/21/04 11:14 am - Portsmouth, OH
I'm looking at a job in Miami Shores. The job itself is what I am looking for but I'm not sure I can handle living in FL. Ohio can get pretty hot in the summer but that is only for about 4 months...how hot is it throughout the year in FL. I have been to West Palm Beach in March and in the middle of July and I know it was hot but I don't remember if I felt towards it...was on vacation so was in shorts and bathing suit a lot. Now I have to wear thick compression garments on my legs everyday. What do you Floridians think, how do you deal with the heat or do you even notice it's that hot...just go jump in the pool What are the major hospitals in Miami?
Lexa321
on 5/21/04 12:22 pm - weston, FL
first of all WELCOME TO FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! second of all... congrulation on your weight loss.... i think you will be fine dont think about it... try to keep the areas dry with mabye baby powder or something... and the hospital factor... there is cleveland clinic florida (weston) tehre is jackson memorial (downtown miami) there is memorial east ( hollywood) baptist hospital of miami ... ceders medical center (miami) hialeah hospital (hialeah) holy cross hospital (ft .lauderdale) those are teh ones i can think of off the top of my head... i found this list... i hope it helps... http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/list-hospitals-FL.html Lexa
Sarahlicious
on 5/21/04 12:42 pm - Portsmouth, OH
Thanks for the info...I'm not there yet...still have to GET the job!!! Wish me luck! I'm in the final four!
Lexa321
on 5/22/04 6:30 am - weston, FL
wishin you luck!!!!
Jan Ocala
on 5/21/04 12:53 pm - Ocala, FL
Sarah, it's hot all year round, no doubt about it, but remember that there's A/C in all the housing, the malls, the stores, the cars, the workplaces - so you don't have to suffer. It's not like summer in Ohio!! I used to melt in the summer in Wisconsin because no one had A/C! I love it here and have never looked back!! Welcome! ~Jan
Brenda N.
on 5/21/04 1:26 pm - Holiday, FL
SARAH, I THOUGHT I WOULD DIE WHEN I MOVED HERE IN 1992. I'M FROM KY,AND I WENT TO MY DR THERE IN KY AND TOLD HIM I WAS MOVING TO FLORIDA, HE SAID IF I DO I WILL ADD AT LEAST 10 YEARS TO MY LIFE. YES IT GETS HOT HERE BUT BECAUSE OF THE HUMIDITY THE AIR IS MORE PURE.I PRETTY MUCH STAY INSIDE AS MUCH AS I CAN. AND GOD KNOWS WE HAVE BEACHES ALL AROUND US.YOU WILL LOVE THE FALL AND WINTER HERE THEY ARE THE BEST. GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO FLORIDA BRENDA
SimplyRedHead
on 5/21/04 7:46 pm - Longwood, FL
No one hates the hot weather more than me! The worst months are May through October but unless you have an outside job, you should be fine because of A/C. Most of us do wear shorts most of the year and there is that wonderful feeling of being in the 70's in Dec when your relatives up north are talking about all the snow. Nov thru April are months that offer a little bit of cooler weather and the spring weather here is lovely. I think we do notice when it's hot and humid, but once you are inside or hop in the pool or take a tepid shower, you are fine To be honest, I think the hardest thing for transplants to Florida to get used to is the rain, we have the worst lightning and crazy storms here, especially during summer. My new boss just moved her from Pa. and he is amazed at the storms we get here, they pop out of nowhere and usually just last a short time. Good luck with the potential job, Amy P.S. I hear most that have WLS wind up being cold a lot after surgery, I hope that happens to me.
Shayna T.
on 5/22/04 2:46 am - Miami, FL
It does get hot here during the summer, but our winters are divine and to die for! I am not a person who enjoys snow, ice or cold weather, so I absolutely adore living here. I'm originally from Oklahoma, and now live in Miami. ~ T.
Marla S.
on 5/22/04 3:58 am - Tampa-ish, FL
As a Florida native, I know a bit about living here. If I had my choice, I would winter here and live in a cooler area come late spring to say mid Oct. I happen to live in the Tampa area, which is very hot in summer, high 90's many days of summer. Now where you are, oh my it stays hot all year round. It has pros and cons, as any place does. Marla
ebdrup
on 5/22/04 7:56 am - PLANT CITY, FL
Sarah, I moved here from California in 1976. I thought I'd die from the humdity. The heat is not as hard to get use to because of the A/C everwhere. When I first moved here there was not A/C in all places, You'll be fine. I also lived in South Dakota and remember the summers were hot there also. I also agree that the rainy season, which is also summer time, is weird. It will rain across the street and be dry in your yard. So Commmmmme onnnnn Down and enjoy! We are a great bunch of people IMP gail
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views