Medial RNY in 2002, looking for "wls aware" PCP in Miami area

gg0709
on 3/5/10 4:48 am
Hello all,

Does anyone know of a PCP in the Miami area who is wls-aware or treats wls patients? 

For those of you just starting out on your post-op journey, know that this truly is a life-changing event, and stays with you for the rest of your life.  I consider myself a success story, having lost over 140 lbs and a host of co-morbidities (diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure). 

I just had a revision in December, 2009 to remove 4 gastro-gastric fistulas caused by my use of NSAIDs for chronic neck pain.  The short explanation for my stupidity is that I was in extreme pain & not under the care of a PCP who could vet the orthopedic dr's recommendation of "it's either the meds or surgery" and give me some other options.  I knew NSAIDs were not a good idea, and had I understood what I was risking, I would probably have gone for neck surgery.  

I have NEVER regretted or doubted my RNY decision.  But I am finding it a challenge to find support for post-op, long-term issues I am encountering.  My surgeon for both the RNY and revision and his support staff are wonderful but almost an hour away -- Not practical. And the support group meetings offer little in terms of long-term coping skills. 

It is VERY IMPORTANT to  remember that ANY medication has the potential to damage your stomach.  In our case, there's very little of it left, making it prime real estate in our bodies to be guarded with utmost attention.  Consequently, I am now searching for a PCP who will treat my ailments and prescribe meds with an eye on the effects wls has had on my body.  Please, if anyone has the name of a PCP they can recommend in the Miami area, it would be of tremendous help. 

My best wishes to all, and a special request for a reply from those who are out a few years and can relate to my concerns. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views