got a date/problem

msknow
on 5/13/04 9:52 pm - Deerfield Beach, FL
This is my first time posting here. I just got a date for RNY/LAP. It's July 7. I have a problem, though. I will probably have my period at that time. I wasn't given much choice in the date and I'm not sure that there is anything I can do about this. Did anyone else have this problem and how did you deal with it?
Bieniasz
on 5/13/04 10:59 pm - Tampa, FL
Hey Laura- Don't worry about it!! I have seen this question numerous times and always the same answers...the nurses are completely prepared!!! Best of luck! Lori 222/172/1?? laprny 1-6-04
michelleguess
on 5/13/04 11:02 pm - Clayton, nc
Laura, I am an RN who has worked surgical ICU and periods are common and it doesn't phase the medical staff at all. Surgery and trauma tend to bring on periods so even if it wasn't your time of the month the surgery would probably be enough to bring it on anyway. Best of luck Michelle
ErikaL
on 5/13/04 11:05 pm - JAX, FL
Laura, Lori is right! Don't sweat it!!! It is common for women to get their period when they have the surgery anyway, even if they just had one. The nurses are used to it. Most advise taking pads to the hospital with you, even if your not due to get your period. Congratulations on getting your surgery date! Welcome to the AMOS family, Erika L
SimplyRedHead
on 5/14/04 12:15 am - Longwood, FL
Laura, Congrats on your date. I would be worried myself about the same thing, but based on what the others have written, I guess it doesnt matter. Good Luc****ep us posted. Amy
Marla S.
on 5/14/04 12:49 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Welcome to AMOS and congra on your date! If the hospital staff has never seen a woman in their care on her period, well they are in for the next level of nursing 101. Believe me, they have seen and cared for it all. You go girl. Besides, what God gave us is very special, otherwise how would all our lovely babies get here? Marla
msknow
on 5/14/04 4:11 am - Deerfield Beach, FL
Thank you ladies for the encouragement. I must say that the things I'm worried about and stressing over would be trivial to most. I'm not worried about dying or having complications. Perhaps I should be, but I'm not. I'm worried about things like having someone else take care of any personal needs and having to be undressed in front of other people, having someone inquire about gas, urinating, and bowel movements. I'm absolutely horrified about having a catheter. I guess it's obvious I'm not used to any of these things, as I've never been hospitalized, nor have I ever had anyone take care of me. I'm completely used to meeting my own needs, from a very young age. I, of course, know that these people deal with this everyday and it wouldn't even cross their minds, but it's new to me and I'm REALLY uncomfortable with it all. Anyway, I'll live with it like everyone else. I just wi**** wasn't weighing on my mind so. Laura
Marla S.
on 5/14/04 5:55 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Laura, I'm with you on taking care of myself. Never had anyone, not even my ex take care of me sick or otherwise. My daughter will be my caretaker....now I changed many a diaper with her, but for her to wipe my back side....????? Thinking of a wooden spoon and wipies...Or my best friend! no way, she is very dear to me, but.....I just know it will all work out despite my worst fears. I have been in a hospital a few times, so know what to expect. One nice thing to remember, we will be loaded with nice pain meds, so we may not even care! Just close your eyes and think of how you will feel 6 months out and how you will look!! Keep them cards and letters coming, we can help you with your walk down this road. Together we can build mountains!!! Marla
Jan Ocala
on 5/14/04 6:25 am - Ocala, FL
Laura, I don't know what you do for a living, but can you imagine someone coming into contact with you during your normal work day and being terrified of you and the fact that you were working?? It's no different with the nurses. Body stuff and chunks and fluids are what they do! No biggie, so please don't sweat it! Because I work in healthcare, your concern made me smile, but it is understandable. I, on the other hand, am not particularly concerned over having a foley, but I can't WAIT to get a look at my very own G tube!!! I work with them, but never imagined having one myself!! I find it all very fascinating!! ~Jan
SimplyRedHead
on 5/15/04 6:58 pm - Longwood, FL
Laura, ARE YOU MY WLS TWIN?????? LOL I have anxiety over the same things you mentioned. That is why the board has helped ease my mind about so many things. I am most worried about the catheter too. I guess when all this is done, I will feel silly, but it is so foreign to me, I can't help but think of the things to worry about. Glad I'm not alone Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views