When to stop eating

Tina P.
on 5/6/04 4:03 pm - St. Petersburg, FL
I am pre-op. I have an 8 week agenda to follow a practice diet so I will be prepared after surgery. I have all my menus and food shopping and activities and journal and do just fine until.. EARLY EVENING I can be full and know I am and still want to eat. I have been successful for only 2 days, out of 2 but I am so afraid I will fail. If I don't suceed pre op, I will not get to have the surgery. I pick up a Dr suggested book tomorrow, and I begin counseling next week on binge eating. What have you all done? I work as a call taker at a restaurant in the evenings and used to not want the food. Now I feel deprived, and hungry. What a pity party! Any advice??
SimplyRedHead
on 5/6/04 8:59 pm - Longwood, FL
Tina, I know how you are feeling. Fear of failure is common, especially since so many of us already feel like we have failed ourselves with our weight struggles. You can get thru this and don't worry about feeling like it's a pity party. Food has been our ally and companion for a long time, it is normal for us to wonder if we can survive without it being a priority any more. If this was easy, we wouldnt need the surgery. I know it sounds cheesy, but one suggestion for you would be to make a long list of the things you want to do when you are thinner and healthier, put in on your fridge, in the pantry, in your lunch bag, in your purse, at your desk, on the bathroom mirror...put it everywhere possible to help you stay focused on your goals. So far, my list includes about 30 things like wanting to ride a bike again to being able to scratch my back without a back scratcher LOL. It sounds silly but things I struggle with, others around me take for granted. I need the "visual" of my list to help me stay focused on my future not the present. For me, dealing with food can be Mind over Matter most days. For example, I rarely, if ever, craved chocolate or caffeine UNTIL the day the cardiologist told me I could not have either of them 24 hr prior to my stress test, then of course I was about pull my hair out wanting a Snickers bar and a huge latte. I thought I was gonna die waiting for that time frame to end! I have to laugh about it now. Maybe try picking up a hobby to help keep your hands and mind occupied to avoid the binges. I am trying to find someone to teach me how to knit or crochet so that when I get out of the hospital I can do that to keep my fingers busy. But it could be a word search or puzzle or something else to help get you thru the rough times. I would rather do something like this than journal my food or chart my progress like I did with other weight loss programs, I want to take the focus off the food and place it on my body, my health, my future. It isn't easy to change our thinking or the self talk we have created, but I know I am going to win at this challenge! You can too Hang in there, you are as normal as the rest of us and will be just fine. Amy
jolli
on 5/7/04 4:02 am - FL
Hey Tina, I couldn't have put it in better words than Amy YOU CAN DO IT, GO GIRL! Johanna
Lexa321
on 5/7/04 5:56 am - weston, FL
one thing i have learned in my 18 years of living is that if you think you will fail you will... but if you think you can make it.. you will make it.. YOU hold the power with YOU... mabye you can chew gum? it keeps your mouth busy.. and mabye you can play video games.. or draw... or play pool with your hands... to keep you busy... you can do my girl... have faith
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views