high protein foods??

Jennifer J.
on 4/28/04 7:58 am - Tampa, FL
i havent had the WLS, hell i dont even have a date or a PCP(due to a idiot as one now)(looking for a new one) yet but i was wondering ahead of time to put in my notebook i have started on WLS's-what foods are high in protein?? why eat protein and not carbs?? which foods are to be totally lost from menu's?? thank you all...
Marla S.
on 4/28/04 10:05 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Half an answer...what surgeon do you think you will use? If it is Dr. Murr, why not use Spetria doctor? She is great. My PCP is Kent Carrol in south Tampa. He has several patients that have had WLS, so he is pro-wls. Protein, meat, chicken, fish, protein powder for shakes. Marla
Jennifer J.
on 4/28/04 10:20 am - Tampa, FL
hey i know i emailed you back but i told myself i am going to try getting better at posting instead of email ing so here i am...thanks!!! jennifer
SimplyRedHead
on 4/28/04 10:28 am - Longwood, FL
After WLS, your stomach pouch will be very small and you will not fully digest most of your food before it passes thru your body, not allowing the body to absorb many nutrients and minerals the body needs. This is one reason we will always need to take some supplements thruought our lives. We need protein to maintain muscle mass and not have your body start to burn that instead of fat (I'm sure there are more reasons but I cant think of them right now, sorry). While most foods high in carbs do taste good, they arent nutritionally good for us. Your doctor or nutrition class will tell you the more detailed info and recommend a diet to be healthy while losing weight and maintain a healthy weight. In my nutrition class, they suggested low carb, low fat, low sugar diet with focus on protein intake first. Just an FYI, Walgreens.com (not avail in stores) has started carrying a line of protein shakes, bars and vitamins especially for WLS patients. I got some samples from the nutrition class and they weren't too bad.
Jennifer J.
on 4/28/04 10:33 am - Tampa, FL
thank you for the information. i got alot to learn still huh?
Lexa321
on 4/28/04 11:16 am - weston, FL
fish is kinda good for protien intake... as well as cheese... some beans.. and then again the powders/shakes/nectars... a WLS pt need 60-75 units of protien... also... to add to what amy said... because the carbs also "ferment" inside your tummy giving you a hell of a pain... you can pretty much belive that all sweets... and carbonated drinks will be a nono... and lots of WATER!!!! eggs.. cottage cheese... soy products... are all good..crystal light and many suger free drinks will become a major part ofyour diet... hope this helps...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views