Insurance

Marla S.
on 4/28/04 2:04 am - Tampa-ish, FL
Hi Folks, I have been chatting with several members on the subject of insurance and coverage. Another member and myself discussed a letter covering the issues be sent to insurance companies, our elected folks in Tallahassee, and the board that governs insurance companies in Florida. I am looking for all info/concerns members want to include. You can post or email me direct, [email protected]. This would address BC/BS as well as other insurance companies discontinuing WLS. As well as, other forms of treatment for obesity, plastic surgery after weight loss, all pre-op testing and post op treatment. Bottom line, I feel obesity should be treated as a disease, as we all know it is. Thankfully many doctors agree with us. Insurance companies fail to recognize obesity as such. Just think of the dollars your own company has put out on treatment of your medical problems in past 5 years. Also the number of days you missed work. The numbers are staggering. Perhaps these letters could be placed in our PCP's offices, surgeons offices, hospitals and etc. This would expose our cause to a greater number of people in the same condition as we are. As we know, so many people that are obese fear rejection from the public, as well as, their own doctors. For this reason, they loose friends, change doctors, hide in their homes and become even more obese. Food is such a comfort and it will not reject us! So let's hear from the group. Marla
ebdrup
on 4/28/04 7:56 am - PLANT CITY, FL
Hi Marla, I agree it is needed for the insurance companies to change. They need to understand if we get the disease under controll the cost of our care goes down as will. Example: my insurance pays rental on a Bi Pap machine and Oxygen for me to sleep. One month cost is almost $780.00. The cost after WLS should be $0. Even tho they have agreed that Obesity is a disease the insurance companies continue to treat us as if it is our choice to be Obese.
Marla S.
on 4/28/04 9:59 am - Tampa-ish, FL
My insurance did pay the cost of my c-pap/bi-pap. Total cost, $1200. Every 6 months I need a new face mask at tune of $85. or so, they pay. Gee, that could have gone toward my WLS. Now that is not including the 2 nights of testing. Last thing they paid for was $1,500. for 3 injections in one knee, plus the doc's bills, $310. a visit just to inject. About 2 minutes top. It is a mystery to me. Marla
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views