Anyone been thru a heart cath procedure?

SimplyRedHead
on 4/23/04 5:41 am - Longwood, FL
I failed my stress test and have to go to the cath lab next week. I am a nervous wreck. It has put my approval process on hold, but that's OK if it means my heart will be healthier for surgery. But I have LOTS of questions. Such as: how long it takes, are you on a surgical bed or something reclined (I have a bad back and am worried I wont have cushion under my back with only local anes. for my arm)? They will be going thru an artery in arm. How is the recovery time, etc? Anyone who can help answer some of these, I would appreciate it so much. I am a big scaredy cat about this. Thanks, Amy
Linda F.
on 4/23/04 11:53 am - Palm Harbor, FL
I can't answer for myself. I can only tell you what I observed. Two years ago my husband had a heart attack. He went to the cath lab and they told him 3 arteries were closed. He had 3 stents put in his arteries. They could only do two and then two months later he had to go back and have the other one done. The first time they were able to go through the wrist. He said they had him in twilight so although he knew what was going on, he didn't feel anything. He was sent to the CCU unit after the procedure. He had to keep his arm still and spent the night in CCU and went home the next day. He was back to work in about one month. He couldn't do heavy lifting and no quick bending over. Now mind you this was after the heart attack. The 2nd time they had to go through the groin. After the procedure he had to lay with his leg flat. He could not bend the leg. They put heavy packs on the leg so that the artery would not open and blead. He again stayed overnight in CCU (I think because they did it later in the day) and went home the next day. He was back to work in a week. He had no after feeling from either procedure. Hope this helps and good luck to you. I will say a prayer that all goes well for you. Linda Jahosky
Jim Spurgeon
on 4/24/04 8:31 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Amy, I had one in February this year....was not too bad except after the procedure you have to lay completely still in bed for 6-8 hours. You will not be able to flex or bend your arm during this time. I had the catheter inserted thru the groin vein, and it really was not that painful. In the past I was too fat for a heart cath, however since losing over 300 lbs since my gastric bypass, they were able to do the heart cath and rule out any heart problems.
Brenda N.
on 4/29/04 1:56 pm - Holiday, FL
HI AMY, I HAVE BEEN THROUGH 3 HEART CATHS THE FIRST ONE I HAD A BAD REACTION BECAUSE I WAS ALLERGIC TO IV DYE AND HAD A BAD REACTION. BUT THE OTHER 2 THEY HAD ME TAKE 3 BENIDRYL SO I HAD NO REACTION WITH THE OTHER 2 BUT YOUR FEAR IS WORSE THAN THE ACTUAL TEST. SO DON'T GET TOO WORRIED THE FEAR IS WORSE THAN THE TEST. I WILL PRAY FOR YOU . BRENDA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views