Hi Everyone!

shellyvette
on 1/25/10 5:42 am - Pensacola, FL
Just wanted to stick my head in and say hello.  I've been researching WLS for years and I am finally ready.  I plan on having the Vertical Sleeve or the Duodental Switch with Dr. Lloyd.  I have United Health Care and have to go through a 6 month supervised diet program.  However, I'm willing to do whatever necessary to start this journey.  Any advise is strongly encouraged.
Redhaired
on 1/25/10 12:47 pm - Mouseville, FL
I am about 3.5 years out from my DS and my DH had DS this past July.  In all of the years I have been on OH and the DS board I have never heard of Dr. Lloyd.  He is not on the list of vetted surgeons on DSfacts.com.  Please feel free to ask me anthing you would like to know about the DS. 

Red

shellyvette
on 1/25/10 11:45 pm - Pensacola, FL

Hi Red

Yes Dr. Lloyd has been in Pensacola for some time now.  Here is a link if you care to read about him.  I've gone to a few of his seminars and he seems quite knowledgeable.

http://www.sacred-heart.org/weightlosssurgery/

Michelle

Redhaired
on 1/26/10 12:37 am - Mouseville, FL
Oh you are talking about Dr. Lord.  I remember when he moved to Florida -- we were very hopeful that we were getting a DS surgeon, but sadly that was not the case.  Unless something has changed Dr. Lord does not do the DS.  I recall someone on the DS board who went to his seminar because his information indicated that he did the DS, once there she learned that not only did he not do it -- but completely trashed the procedure.  In fact when he moved his practice to Florida from VA I called and spoke to his nurse/assistant who told me that he preferred not to do the DS.  Of course this was several years ago.

Red

shellyvette
on 1/26/10 2:07 am - Pensacola, FL
Well I spoke to one of his nurse/assistant and she told me that Dr. Lord did the DS and the Vertical Sleeve.  I hope I have not been misinformed because if so I have a problem.
Redhaired
on 1/26/10 2:21 am - Mouseville, FL
I certainly hope you find that he does do the DS.  But I really do not think he does.  Be careful of the surgeons who say they do a procedure and then when you speak with them about it -- they have all kinds of reasons that surgery is not an appropriate choice for you.  We call them bait and don't switch surgeons.  I think if you look at his stats on this website it is a pretty safe bet he does not do the DS.

shellyvette
on 1/26/10 3:42 am - Pensacola, FL
You are so right Redhaired I talk to the nurse and he does not do the DS at all and will only do the Sleeve if absolutely necessary.  They just let the air out of my balloon.  He doesn't think neither one are reliable methods.  He can't be serious.  I'm just sick now.  Were did you have your surgery?
Redhaired
on 1/26/10 3:48 am - Mouseville, FL
I went to Omaha, Nebraska and had surgery with Dr. Anthone.  You can see a list of vetted DS surgeons on dsfacts.com.

And please do not let the travel part of this scare you.  Most of us who have the DS have to travel at least a little ways.  There are just not that many DS surgeons around. 

The first thing -- is to find out which surgeons take your insurance and make a short list and go from there. 

Red

shellyvette
on 1/26/10 4:19 am - Pensacola, FL
Well I just spoke to Dr. Nye's office and his nurse just told me that he DOES perform both the sleeve and the switch.  I have a consultation with him on 2/17 as well.  I know a few patients of his and they seem to like him.  I was trying to give Dr. Lord a try because I only hear good things about him but I don't want the RNY. 
Redhaired
on 1/26/10 6:18 am - Mouseville, FL
Shelly-
I hope you are not once again disappointed.  Dr. Nye's profile on OH has no mention of the DS, nether does his bio on the Baptist Health webpage.

If it is the DS that you want do not settle for anything else.  Also do not fall for the we can add the switch later.  While technically that may be true if you have the sleeve gastrectomy there is no way to know if your insurance will cover a second surgery plus, while there are special cases where the DS is done in two parts -- there seems to be a synergy when it is done as one procedure that is missing when it is done as a two step procedure.

Red

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views