about bcbs stopping gastric bypass

christy S.
on 4/7/04 1:29 pm - pace, fl
i talked with a nurse that preps us and we got to talking and i told her that i cauld not have mine here that i have to travel 10hr to have it done and she aked why and i told her cause the dr's around here won't take medicaid !!!!! and we started abiut bcbs and i asked her what was the deal and she said that it is becasue of people having it done that in all reallity didn't need it done is what so causing the others to suffer. shfe said that they had to come up with a good reason and thats why the said because of to many deaths and like she siad that the death rate has drop conpraed to yrs ago!! but she said thats the reason why so i think that people *****ally don't need it should not be able to have it done there is a lady who did have it done who weighted a little over 200 lbs and she now regrets having it done because she realizes now that she didn't need it and because of her and others who do this is punishing the others who do medicailly need it just someting i thought i needed to let yall now
Micmomof3
on 4/7/04 11:34 pm - Jacksonville, fl
Hey girl! You know what, I agree! I think there are people out here that doesn't look to wls as a last resort, but they think it will be a quick fix. Sometimes a few bad seeds ruin it for everone. Happens all the time. it's sad, but true. Michelle
Shayna T.
on 4/8/04 12:56 am - Miami, FL
But then you have to ask the question, if the person didn't need WLS, who approved and paid for it? The insurance companies! In reality, the insurance companies just don't want to pay for the surgery because there are so many people who qualify under the National Institutes of Health standards. Don't blame the folks who the insurance approved to have the surgery for having it. They wouldn't have had the surgery if the insurance company hadn't agreed to pay for it. ~ T.
T P.
on 4/8/04 8:22 am - South Florida, FL
Blame health care in this country, it sucks. Insurance companies are for prophet businesses, this is not a profitable endeavor. The only damn an insurance company gives about our health is when the premium > costs, thats not typically the case over the life of a gastric bypass patient, thats why they are requiring special riders with your employer to cover it (most companies). The insurance companies have a fiduciary duty to the shareholders, write a congressman or senator, healthcare needs to be a duty of the government like it is in other "civilized" nations.
Pam T.
on 4/9/04 1:30 pm - Flintville, TN
I'm one of the people who some may think "don't need it" because I'm 230 lbs. I'm 35 and have severe diabetes...3 shots a day plus oral meds...have had spinal compression and then back surgery. High cholesterol, enlarged liver, hypothyroid and sleep apnea, plus a family history of heart disease and stroke. I have been on just about every diet known since the age of SEVEN!!! My doctor thinks that if I don't have the surgery, I won't live to see my 3 year old son grow up. I just recieved approval for my surgery and will go in May for the pre-op. Please don't be judgemental about those of us who by appearance don't seem to need the surgery; appearances can be decieving. D
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views