correcting a (stupid!!!) mistake!

Susan F.
on 4/2/04 10:08 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi all, I want to be as completely honest as I can. I messed up big time. I am diabetic. My surgery is scheduled for 4.6.04. I have been eating all those 'foods I won't eat again' and didn't pay attention to my blood sugar. I had my preop testing yesterday 4.2.04. Everything went smooth. They took my blood and did an ekg. Then I was done. But when I got home, I rcvd a call from the nurse stating that my surgeon requested me to contact my PCP due to my high blood sugar. The nurse wasn't sure if the surgery would be able to stay on track and I won't be able to find out until Monday morning 4.5.04. The one thing I have going for me is that my dr didn't tell me to fast before doing the blood work yesterday so even though my blood sugar was very high, it could have a lot to do with the fact that we grabbed lunch right before the appt because I left work without taking lunch and I was told the tests may take up to 3 hours. Also, I now have this weekend to try and get it back under control and you can better believe I will be eating nothing at all bad this weekend. So if you could pray for me I would appreciate it. This was my last weekend and I was gonna do the 'last supper' kind of thing but now I can't and that is a big emotional let down as I am sure you all can imagine. BUT, I want this surgery so please pray for strength for me to be strong and do what I need to do. Thanks for listening and I hope that I will still be undergoing my surgery on Tuesday. Good luck to you all!
boemary
on 4/2/04 11:08 pm - Ocala, FL
Hi susan, I just wanted to say I am also a diabetic, I had my wls on March 22nd and havn't had to use insuline since surgery! I had the same problem as you my sugars were always above 250 and I knew I had to get them down so i would heal properly before surgery, so this is what I did for 2 weeks before surgery and believe me it was very hard, but it worked I only ate protien and ate as much as it took to fill me, also veggies, no sauses , salad dressings except olive oil n vinegar no ketchup, and drank almost a gallon of water everyday, this will make your blood sugar drop and I also walked at least a mile any kind of excersize will lower your sugar, try your best and everything should be ok, and just think of the wonderful outcome...No more Insuline, was so worth it for me!!!! best of Luck to you hugz Mary
Smellycat
on 4/3/04 1:54 am - New Port Richey, Fl
Mary, Glad to see you're doing so great! I've been wondering about ya. I did Low Carb High Protein for about 3 wks or so prior to surgery. It also helps your liver shrink and become more pliable, therefore making the surgeons job alot easier........and I'm all for that. I never had my "last supper" either, as I had originally planned, but I did take a day or two where I wasn't as strict and cheated a little here and there. And Susan....I did the same thing as you when waiting for approval. I called and was told I was covered, but then caled back the next day to hear it from another Rep., just tomake sure..........lol Your Dr is in Ocala? Will you be at Ocala Reg or Munroe?
~Kim~ J.
on 4/4/04 3:32 am - Trinity, FL
Susan!!! Hey my friend...We ALL make mistakes just learn from it and I KNOW you have My dear friend keep your head up and move forward and things will be running smooth once again. We are all behind you, praying for you and supporting you! **hugs** BE GOOD! Love yazzz Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views