Wish Center of Florida really has me HOT!

laurie T.
on 4/2/04 12:43 am - milton, fl
hi, i took the seminar on the internet and called them three days after the simenar to allow for it to show up on their system, i had no problem making appt. i go on 4-8-04. how long did you wait after online seminar before you called? i would try again to make appt. good luck!
Dyann
on 4/2/04 1:55 am - Grapevine, TX
I waited 9 days after taking the online seminar. I have no idea why it did not show up in their system, but I received a call from the office manager yesterday and she "allowed" me to make an appointment anyway.
Dyann
on 4/2/04 1:57 am - Grapevine, TX
I am amazed at the struggle in Florida just to get any person at the doctor's office to speak with you before the orientation! I went through this process in Texas 2 years ago, and everyone I spoke with was more than kind and willing to answer any questions. Has it all changed this much 2 years, or is it just because I am in Florida? Sorry, I do not mean for that to be insulting. Everyone on the boards has been very nice, but the doctor's staff appears to be too busy to bother with anything other than collecting their fee. Just my opinion. One more thing before I climb down from my soap box, although I inform the office staff that I am very informed about this surgery and the risks, they tell me that I need more information before they can speak with me, and even then, I will have to wait to ask any questions until I see the doctor. All I want to know is if the doctor is experienced in dealing with high risk (due to my previous mesh hernia repair) patients. I cannot even get that question answered by anyone! This simple answer would alleviate the time and inconvenience of visiting several doctor's, and attending their orientation sessions, just to be told that the doctor is not experienced with the surgery that I need. My mother and grandmother are both nurses, my sister-in-law is a doctor, and I have been previously approved for this surgery, so I am well away of what is covered at a Bypass Buddies Group, which I also attended several times last year. I am very frustrated and apologize in advance if I offended anyone. Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for all your posts and emails!
Tina P.
on 4/2/04 2:37 pm - St. Petersburg, FL
Hey Scarlett: I am in no way offended. I understand what you want. It seems like a reasonable question. Answered, it will allow you to explore other docs instead of the waiting if they can't deal with the hernia repair. I called the Wish center also, again, to confirm the $2000 down payment. I was told yes, it could be $2000 - $3000, and the 8 weeks allowed to meet pre-op goals should enable a person to finance or save the amount. I know this is not an option for me, and as much as I would have felt safe in Dr. Dietrick's hands after meeting him and asking questions, I told the person in Tampa I would have to double check with my insurance company to see what else I could do. I will keep my April 29th appt. for the time being. On a happier note, while I spoke to Humana today, I learned it is covered with medical necessity! ( a medicare HMO, Humana Gold Plus)
SimplyRedHead
on 4/3/04 8:02 pm - Longwood, FL
Hey guys, Let's not forget this is big business now. If you want to avoid paying a lot of upfront fees or having to go thru hoops before you see the doctor, then you should go with a smaller practice with a smaller staff. I wanted to be seen as a patient not a commodity so I chose a doctor two hours away from home versus the big group near home. I am very happy with my decision but it wasn't easy initially. Maybe you should look into some other doctors in your area or even go over the bridge to Clearwater or St. Pete. I trully believe there ARE doctors out there that aren't just about the almighty dollar and really want to help us acheive our goals. Good luck Amy Central Florida pre-Op
Dyann
on 4/4/04 12:34 am - Grapevine, TX
I was approved for surgery previously through Bariatric Treatment Centers in Texas. They are a large Nationwide company, and they treated me as if I were there only patient. They answered all my questions when I called for information, and I was not their patient at that time. It has nothing to do with the size of the practice, but their attitude toward their patients and potential patients. Also, I was referred to the Wish Center by BTC in Texas because a larger practice usually has more experienced surgeons, and a high risk surgery requires a more experienced surgeon.
SimplyRedHead
on 4/4/04 12:56 am - Longwood, FL
I understand your frustration and was just trying to give you an option. My surgeon has conducted nearly 1000 surgeries so I feel he is an experienced surgeon enough for me, but with your risk factor involved I can see your concern. I wish you all the luck in the world and was just giving my opinion based on my own experience with the larger practices. I trully hope it all works out for you! Amy
Dyann
on 4/4/04 1:00 am - Grapevine, TX
Oh, I understand. Sorry if I came across gruff, but this whole process is so frustrating. I am at the point to where I am considering having the surgery in Texas without my husband with me. Thanks again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1433 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views