Please help my son

Sheila B.
on 3/29/04 9:58 pm - Crawfordville, FL
Hello all, Recently I had the gastric bypass done in Tallahassee Florida by Dr. Elliot Sieloff MD and it went like a BREEZE! I am soooo happy with the surgery, it just couldn't be better! I never even got sick post op and still have yet to be sick or feel a great deal of pain even. The reason I am writing here today is to ask if ANY of you know of a place I might be able to get my 25 year old son who weighs 500 pounds some help in getting this surgery. He does still work as a truck driver but ofcourse most trucking companies don't cover you with a dab of insurance. Of course also, truck drivers don't make a killing at it. Please someone if you know of a place that does charity work or at least charges the mim. of the cost, PLEASE ADVISE SOON> I was lucky and my HMO paid for my surgery and if there was ANY WAY I could help him get it I sure would. I am soooooo scared this child is not going to live long at the rate he is going. He has tried all sorts of diets and welllll, you guys that know about this know what happens! Thanks for ANY LEADS you could connect me to. I do appreciate this! Sincerely, Sheila Baranowski
Kathy S.
on 3/29/04 11:00 pm - Port Orange, FL
Hi Sheila, first let me say congrats on your own success! I don't have any info for you about your son, but I wanted to share a similar scenario with you. My 39 year old brother is 500 lbs, he was a truck driver and had to quit driving because he developed cellulitis in his legs and couldn't drive with the pain. After 3 years and one doctor saying he had congestive heart failure, he finally got on disability. He had been staying with my mother the entire time with no income. He is on disability now, and on medicare. I don't think medicare covers the surgery, but after 3 years of attempting to get disability, he got a nice little chunk of change at the beginning. I suggested to him to have the surgery and he said no. He feels it is too dangerous (as opposed to his heart failing, his legs on the verge of amputation at least once a year, the numerous other staph infections he gets because of his weight, or the fact he sleeps with a c-pap). He decided to go into business for himself instead. Anyway... I hope someone responds to your question with the right answer. Does your son want this surgery? Just curious.... Take care and good luck to you!!! Kathy~
boemary
on 3/30/04 4:24 pm - Ocala, FL
hello kathy i was reading your post and just thought you would like to know that medicare, which i have part a and b does cover wls as long as it is medically ness. i had my rny on march 22nd and feel great, besides some rib pain which is normal, i weighed 370lbs and i am also a diabetic, medcare wil pre approve the wls and then after it is done will ask the doc for proof of med nes to pay, This is how they work, I look at it this way I got the opperation which probably saved my life and if by some chance medicare decides not to pay later on I am going bankrupt! I am a mom of 3 small children and couldnt possibly afford to pay for this, call medicare if you have questions i never had a problem getting approved. best of luck! Mary
heatheraltema
on 3/30/04 12:52 am - altamonte springs, FL
medicade does help bay for the surgery look in the past post there are a few places for him to go.... good luck
luvstarrynite
on 3/30/04 12:58 am - daytona bch, fl
hi sheila, congrats on your successful surgery. i'm still in the testing/waiting process myself. as for your son, have you looked into the wish center in tampa.....i know they have helped others out before, they also make payment arrangements. also i suggest maybe calling shands.....i'm not sure if they still take patients for the teaching of new residents/surgeons learning to do gastric bypass. i'm using dr. rehnke in st. pete, i changed my medicaid for him to do my surgery. medicaid and medicare(and types of both) will pay for the surgery if it is medically necessary. i hope this info helps out, good luck to your son and yourself. keep us posted......take care tammy
Shayna T.
on 3/30/04 2:00 am - Miami, FL
Congratulations on your success! For your son, have you contacted Vocational Rehab services? I hear they assist those who can't pay for the surgery and have issues related to their job. I'm not sure of all of the details, but I know they do help people get the surgery so they can work. Check into it and keep us updated. We'll all keep our fingers crossed for your son! My brother is a truck driver too!
Lexa321
on 3/30/04 5:54 am - weston, FL
mabye you can check to see if he qualifies for medicade...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views