Need some advice and cheering up :)

SimplyRedHead
on 3/29/04 8:24 am - Longwood, FL
Today I met with the cardiologist to review my stress test results. Well, it didn't go well. I left totally deflated since she told me that she did not recommend I have surgery because she wants me to go have a heart cath to see if their is a blockage. I know many of you may think that this is a blessing, but I cant help but feel like I hit a brick wall today and to top it off I didn't feel she was very supportive of the surgery in general. She went on and on about how I may have hormonal problems and should have sleep apnea test although, I have no symptoms. I walked out of the office feeling like she thinks GB surgery is a cop out, unfortunately I was so shocked with the conversation, I couldn't even think much less be able to ask questions. Has anyone had anything like this happen and do you think this is a huge set back for me? I am so depressed and frustrated since this was the last step before my surgeon submitted me for approval. I could use some support form the group today Amy Pre-Op Central Florida Dr. Overcash (hopefully)
Kathy M.
on 3/29/04 10:50 am - Clermont, FL
This is NOT a set back. Going through the surgery with a bad ticker would be a set back. Sleep apnea in indicator for surgery..... Just more ammunition for the surgery. It's hard when the people you rely on for your physical well being aren't supportive. I am not a very religious person.... but I do believe that sometimes things happen for a reason. Follow your doctor's recomendation... or find another doctor with a second opinion. But listen to that little voice. OK I'm off my soap box. Sleep well and be at peace. (I know easier said then done.) Kathy
Beebe S.
on 3/29/04 10:54 am - PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Amy: I am sorry to hear of your appointment today. It is better to get the tests done. Make sure you get better before surgery. It will make recovery easier, not to mention just surviving the surgery. Keep your chin up. If you feel that your doctor does not support wls, ask the postees for someone in your area wls friendly. Many feel wls is a cop out because it is guaranteed. They know we will succeed. No chance of failing there. However, they don't understand the road ahead of us for life. Cop out my foot.
~Kim~ J.
on 3/29/04 1:00 pm - Trinity, FL
Amy hey hun... I am not a religious person either (but i know whats in my heart) anyway...this may be a blessing in a way that it could have saved your life while in the operating room...Go with it get it tested make sure all is normal prior to proceeding into this surgery...I can only imagine what a let down it is for you to feel the door was shut...but remember God doesnt shut a door without first opening a window...As hard as it may be and as bad as u feel right now, that doctor may have just saved your life...get the test done or get a 2nd opinion...either way that heart problem is nothing to mess with...Many of us are still in waiting right along with you, so dont feel alone because you arent hun...lots of love and **hugs** to you...im always here if you need me. Kim
sharein_angel
on 3/29/04 9:55 pm - Palm Harbor, FL
I'm still pre-op also and doing ALL the test I can even if they are NOT required. I want to be in the best of health I possible can on that operating table and not take any chances. I had my psych testing done yesterday and scheduleing my sleep study today. I see my docotr on Friday and going to set up ALL the rest of the tests I can with his referrals. Keep your head up.....sounds like everything is happening for a good reason to make your surgery a success!
heatheraltema
on 3/30/04 12:55 am - altamonte springs, FL
cheer up amy... I am in altamont if you need me..... this is not a set back it is just her opion and that is all you should take it as. We all have faced some type of critisum at some point threwe this.... good luck and keep focused on what you want.
Shayna T.
on 3/30/04 2:03 am - Miami, FL
Amy, Many many people suffer from sleep apnea and aren't even aware of it! It's a very dangerous condition that also adversely affects your health. Don't think of this as a set back, this is just the road to a healthier life! Good luck to you and keep your head held high and spirtis up, surgery will happen for you!
Lexa321
on 3/30/04 5:51 am - weston, FL
hay... unfortunally i have had a conversation like this... it went with me tellin someoen i thought was my friend about the sugery... and she said that i am way to young and thats its gonna kill me... that she did not support me in anyway at all... she just about told me everything execpt your a loser and you suck and you have given up... so... the point of me responding to this was to tell you just cause a few people tell you what they think dosent mean that they are right... its just an opinion of THEM and THEY are NOT you and therefor can not think like you... what YOU want is more important that what anyone else can think about you... be brave and keep your head up... think of it like this... when you are runnin track.. and then there is a set of hurdles to jump over... you make them all execpt the last one... and then you fall... but do you stay on the groud.. NO... you keep going.. you get up and continue to run your ass off so that you can finish your race... in this case your hurdle was the lady whom did you stress test... dont give up... get back up and finsh your race... you can do it.. Lexa
SimplyRedHead
on 4/2/04 8:50 pm - Longwood, FL
I wanted to thank everyone so much for their support and encouragement. I spoke to my surgeon's office on Thursday and they explained that the stress test was for the reports for the aenethesiologist not because they need approval from a cardiologist. That made me feel much better because this particular cardiologist was not supportive of the surgery...period. Now, I just need to decide when to have the cath done and I think I am going to change doctors and go with a family friend's practice or one of the cardiologists recommended by some other WLS patients. Anyway, thanks again for coming to my "rescue" this week. Have a happy weekend! Amy
Robin B.
on 4/3/04 2:27 pm - Fort Walton Beach, Fl
Well Amy I am a very religious person and one night out of nowhere I decided to look at the memorial page and read all of them, Tears came down my face and I felt all their pain. Most of them were letters from the families that were left behind. Most of them said that the death of their loved ones could have been prevented from different testing like the ones you're talking about. So, just know there is a reason for everything and have Patience. I have a feeling you will be glad in the long run. Take a look and you will see what I am talking about: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/wlsmemorial.phtml Now this is not to scare you but just to understand why the doctors do what they do.. Good luck and you're in my prayers Robin ~
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views