How do you get a referrel?

Karen P.
on 3/23/04 11:27 pm - Coral Springs, fl
I am just starting out in this process. I went to the info session from my surgeon yesterday and the first step is to get a letter from your primary doctor. I don't even have a doctor (just moved down about a year ago). I asked who the surgeon recommended (figured they would know who is wls-friendly). They gave me a name (Mike Perl in Coral Springs). But now I'm not sure how to approach him. They gave me a form letter that the pcp needs to fill out. But I am afraid if I start as a new patient and just want this doctor to 'rubberstamp' my decision, this doctor may not want to refer me. I don't want to be put on another diet, but don't want to seem too forward in the wls process. Any ideas?
melindainfla
on 3/24/04 12:18 pm - pinellas county, fl
Karen, Make an appointment for a consult with the doctor. Be honest...get your records from your last primary care doctor and go from there. Good Luck!!! Melinda
~Kim~ J.
on 3/24/04 3:08 pm - Trinity, FL
Hi Karen, Melinda's suggestion is right on. If you cant easily get your previous doctors info on your own, when you make an appointment with the Primary Care Doctor that you are looking for, let them know you need to fill out "Release of Medical Information" or "Authorization for Release" forms and have his office staff send them to each doctor you have previously had that would have any information on your history. It's been a while since I worked for doctors but that was how we handled it. Basically get all your ducks in a row, the more history and info you have the better and smoother things will probably go for you. Keep us posted. Wishing you the best, Kim p.s If anyone can correct me on the names of the forms or can add anything please let me know
Marcia R.
on 3/25/04 6:56 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
Ok Kim and Karen, what if your old primary doctor destroyed your records which had your entire history of weight loss and your new primary doctor doesn't have a history of weight loss, but has a history of you current weight. Then what? I have a situation where I saw my doctor from 1977-1992 who had weight history and from 1992-2003 my primary doctory retired but didn't believe in weight programs because his patients wouldn't follow through. The doctor who took over his practice doesn't really know me that well. What then? I made an appointment to discuss this, however I'm having bad feeling that he might not agree. He told me in the past to go on weigh****chers. To add to this my insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO gave notice that next year they will not pay for the surgery. How do I get a doctor to give my a referral and get the insurance to act quickly in order for them to pay for it this year?
~Kim~ J.
on 3/25/04 8:00 am - Trinity, FL
Hey Marcia, I dont really know how to respond to your post. I was under the impression that LEGALLY, ALL doctors had to keep patient files for a minimum of 8 years from the date they were last seen. I may be wrong but I know when I worked for doctors, we would mark the chart as inactive and would file it in a storage file. Things may have changed though, but I cannot see a doctor destroying a patients records just because he was retiring. You seriously need to get a hold of someone that is legally qualified to answer your questions. In the meantime let us know what the doctor says that you have an appointment with. I'm really curious as to how this will pan out and what he will say in reference to your request. If he again tells you to go on a weight management program, I would suggest finding a WLS friendly doctor in your area and go from there. Let me know please Marcia. **hugs** Kim
~Kim~ J.
on 3/25/04 8:05 am - Trinity, FL
Marcia hey, after reading your profile I understand what you mean now. If the last time you saw your doctor was in 1992 (the one that had your weight history) The insurance company and doctor would probably want a more recent history than 12 years ago anyway. I wouldnt worry about your records form 12 years ago. Just see what the doctor has to say. I really dont know how to respond other than that. Wish I could. Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views