HELP!! Gaining at 3 years post op

Cynthia T.
on 3/15/04 10:56 pm - St Petersburg, FL
Im gaining weight after 3 years. I know its probably due to what kinds of foods Im eating but I CANT STOP. I moved from PA to FL in Oct 02 and have gained almost 20 pounds. I cant find a doc or support group that knows anything about bariatric surgery and our needs. When I was in PA, after the surgery, I wasnt even offered a follow up program. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
GeorgineVJ
on 3/16/04 12:16 am - Caribou, ME
Cynthia: get thee to Dr. Barry Haicken's website www.drhaicken.com - he has an amazing support network and is local to you. He was my surgeon when I lived in Largo. His practice stresses followup and post op support and they will be able to help you. The support groups meet at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater a couple times a month. I can also recommend Nadine Pazder, R.D. at Morton Plant - she is experienced in bariatric needs and can probably help you regroup. At the least, you'll meet some really nice folks who will help encourage you. There are several 2-3 year postops who attend some of the support groups - the ones that immediately come to my mind are Jason Blue, Ruth Vigilante, and Wendy Friedmann. Go! Go! Go! You won't be sorry. Dr. Haicken has seen many folks who were operated on elsewhere and I think you'll like his followup care program. You probably need to be checked for nutritional deficiencies as well (bloodwork)... good luck!
cindy E.
on 3/16/04 9:46 am - hudson, FL
Cynthia, I was just approved for surgery on May 4th. So, I'm not talking from experience but from research I did for the surgery. There is a Dr. that has Pouch Rules. They are rules for after a person has lost their weight and ways to maintain that loss. the address is www.digitalhorsewoman.com/pouchrules.htm I hope it will help you. It says that people who have regained some of their weight can loose it. I've also been looking for a primary Dr. that knows about bariatric surgery. I haven't found one yet. Good luck to the both of us. Are you happy with having surgery? How has it changed your life? Cindy.
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/04 1:42 am - Tampa, FL
Cynthia, there is a very good Bariactric surgeon in Largo, Dr. Barry Haicken. He also has a very good support group, we meet the third Wednesday at 6:00 p.m., and the second Saturday at 10:00 a.m. at Morton Plant Hospital, the Tuttle auditorium. The bypass buddies, are a great group, and the meeting are for people who are just lookng in to surgery, all the way to those who are far out post-ops. WE discuss the bad habits that post-ops get into and how to overcome them. Please come join us. You meet a lot of new friends, and you may even want to join our water arobics classes.
sharein_angel
on 3/18/04 10:42 pm - Palm Harbor, FL
There's a support group right in St. Pete(Dr. Rehnke's). It's at 112 70th St. Pasadena Community Church-Hamilton Auditorium. The next meeting is April 17th. Starts at 2:30 and last about two hours. I am still pre-op but went to last meeting March 6th and loved all the info and meeting the doctor. There were other members there that were at least two years out. Hope this helps you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views