Hair loss denial...

Smellycat
on 3/12/04 11:33 pm - New Port Richey, Fl
Hi, my friend and I are having surgery soon. Mine is in .... omg....9 days! yikes ! My friend will be having hers sometime in April or May. I am confident that hair loss is unavoidable. My friend, on the other hand, is in denial and thinks there are ways to prevent it. I'd love to think she's right, however talking with people for the past 2 years and reading all the wonderful stories......we have to agree to disagree on this point. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. I'll have a house full of hats ready, just in case.....and she'll be over asking to borrow them. warm regards
Bieniasz
on 3/12/04 11:45 pm - Tampa, FL
Hi Carol- I think that each person is individual, I don't think there is a guarantee one way or the other. I am doing all I can to minimize my hair loss. I have concentrated fully on getting my protein in from the day I got home from the hospital. It's soooo important to get in as much as you can. Since I was about 3 weeks out I have gotten no less then 60 gms per day and am now avg about 80-90 which my doctors consider optimum. Take your vitamins, drink your water, excersise and get in your protein...it's the total equation to maximize this tool we are given!!!! If the hair does fall out....you have it covered (haha).. just remember...it grows back!!!! Best of luck!! Lori 222/189.5/122 -32.5 9 weeks out laprny 1-6-04
BRENDA E.
on 3/13/04 3:17 am - VALRICO, FL
HELLO LORI MY NAME IS BRENDA I AM TRYING TO GET THE SURGERY WITH DR. MURR THAT IS ALSO WHO MY AUNT USED I HAVE BEEN TO SPECTRA ON MARCH 10 2004.MY IRON WAS A LITTLE LOW TAKING IRON PILLS NOW.DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG AFTER DR. MURR'S OFFICE GETS THE FILE IT TAKES TO GET THE APPT.TO SEE HIM.I HOPE TO HAVE SURGERY BY THE MIDDLE TO END OF APRIL.I ALSO LIVE IN VALRICO NOT FAR FROM YOU.WELL YOU CAN EMAIL ME BACK IF YOU HAVE TIME.
diane W.
on 3/13/04 12:43 am - tallahassee, FL
good morning, I agree with the one gal...we are all so individual. My doc told me about hair loss and I did not experience any...thought I was going to get around it...started to lose it 1 1/2 years after surgery...only noted it as extra hair in the tub drain when I washed...have always been very intent on getting in my protein...take a ton of vitamins and add in extra b vitamins...give myself a b12 shot every month...hair loss was minimal and it has all regrown in. am proud of you and your friend for making this difficult decision...if you can go by the book for at least 1 year, you will never regret having the surgery...it's not a cure but it's one heck of a tool to help you change your lifestyle. I lost 145 pounds and I feel great. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and best of luck to you both!!
Laura P.
on 3/13/04 10:56 am - Cape Coral, FL
Hi, I had Duodenal switch surgery in Vitoria Brazil in August and the surgeon told me to take Cystine (this is an amino acid) and I wouldn't lose my hair. I have fine thin baby hair and if I lost any, I'd be bald. I am almost 7 months out and haven't lost any hair. I started taking the 200mg once a day from 1 week on and it sure worked for me. It is inexpensive and is sold in vitamin shops. I also make sure I eat enough protein...even if I have to supplement to get it. Good luck. laura P
cindy E.
on 3/16/04 10:34 am - hudson, FL
Dear Carol, congrats on your surgery date. I live in Hudson. My date is May 4th. I have been going to support group for the past few months while waiting for my approval. The people there reported their hair loss was varied from person to person. Who is doing your surgery? I am going to the Wish Center in Tampa. Let's keep in contact, we are so close. Good Luck to you. Cindy
Smellycat
on 3/17/04 6:27 am - New Port Richey, Fl
Thanks for all the input guys! The reason I'm a little concerned, is that I have a bald spot (a burn from when I was a kid). It is smack in the front area of my head, so any loss would make it hard to cover, since my hair is already pretty thin. Oh well, I keep saying..."small price to pay".....I'm thankful to be able to have this surgery!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views