New to Orlando Area

Amanda G.
on 12/26/09 8:39 am - Fairfax , VA
Hi!  I'm Amanda and just moved to Orlando from Washington DC.  Would love to meet other people in the area who have had GBS.  Are there support groups in the area and could anyone reccomend a really good doc that can do my follow up care.

I am almost 8 months post-op and will return to DC for my 9 month and 1 year appointments but I would like to have someone here to follow me after that or if anything goes wrong before that.

Thanks! 

Cheers!
Amanda

brewgal
on 12/27/09 3:16 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Amanda - I'm Emily and I also live in the Orlando area (near UCF).  I see Dr. Keith Kim at the FL Hospital Celebration Health and I love love love him and his practice.  His support group meeting are usually the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Wed of each month.  For Jan the meetings are as follows:

1/6 @ 6:30pm in conf. rm 1 - Beginning the Journey: post op up to 1.5 years
1/11 @7:00pm in conf. rm 1 - Post Op LAGB Support Group
1/13 @ 7:30pm in conf. rm 1 - General Support Group: open to all (guest speaker Teresa Oliver)
1/20 @ 6:30pm in conf. rm 1 - Maintaining the Journey: Post Op 1.5 years & greater

FL Hospital Celebration Health is in the Kissimmee area so you're probably looking at about a 35-40 min drive depending on where you're coming from - so it is a bit of a drive.  I think that Dr Jawad also has some support group meetings in Orlando (downtown area??) - maybe someone on here can give you his schedule.

Also we have a "Eat" and Greet on 1/11 at the Logan's restaurant in Sanford coming up in a couple of weeks (see post for details), it would be great if you could join us.

See ya around!!  :)

Amanda G.
on 12/27/09 10:09 pm - Fairfax , VA
Hi Emily!   Thanks for the welcome!  Thanks for the information.  I am in Winter Springs.  Not that far from UCF, and actually my husband works on the UCF campus. 

The "eat" amd greet sounds fun.  Sanford isn't that far from me.  I've been here about a month now and I"m slowly learning the area! 

Talk to you soon!

Cheers!
Amanda

LIZCHAVARRO
on 12/28/09 12:23 am
Hi guys,
I live in casselberry not too far from you guys. i had my surgery in ocala-dr. jawad and have not attended a support group because it is too far out.. would love to meet with you guys or a closer support group.. let me know if you hear of anything closer..
brewgal
on 12/28/09 2:55 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Liz - you should try and come to the eat and greet......  if not (I know it is a bit of a drive w/ traffic at that time) maybe we can all meet for lunch or something closer to this side of town.

I'm totally down if you guys are.....  always looking for an opportunity to get out of the house for some fun and chit-chat.  :)

Let me know......

Amanda G.
on 12/28/09 3:02 am - Fairfax , VA
Sounds like fun!  I"m pretty open with my schedule.  Let me know what works for you guys.  
Cheers!
Amanda

IGDiva
on 12/28/09 7:58 am - Orlando, FL
 Hi Amanda!  I'm located over near UCF/Waterford Lakes.  I would love to join you guys if you meet up, that is if a Pre-OP VSG'r can join you RNYs. ;)

I am also a patient of Dr. Kim's and have only had the greatest of experiences so far.  I know that many Central Floridians also have used Dr Jawad in Ocala and Dr. Marema in St. Augustine.  I believe both Doctors also have support groups in Central Florida.
Lisa
HW 380/SW303/CW203  
Ed W.
on 12/28/09 8:36 pm - Casselberry, FL

Hi Amanda, I live in Casselberry and go to Dr Jawads support group when I have time (A Long Drive!). I know Dr Marema has a support group in Lake Mary, but you would have to check his website for dates. As was mentioned before you are also welcome to our little meet and greets in Sanford, the more, the merrier, hopefully we can get a larger group going! Welcome to Orlando!!

Ed

HIghest Weight - 287 /Surgery Weight - 278  /Curent Weight - 150/Goal - 154 

chella79
on 1/4/10 10:24 am - kissimmee, FL
Hi Amanda....
I just had rny with Dr. Kim @ celebration hosp Dec 28th, and live in Kissimmee..new to this area as well and would love to make a new friend,
Dr Kim and his staff are amazing!! If you have any questions , I'm here
PLennon
on 1/16/10 1:34 pm - Orlando, FL
Hi Amanda! I'm Pattie and I live in Orlando. My RNY surgery is scheduled this coming Tuesday with Dr. Kim at Celebration Health. I'd love to be friends!

Peace,
Pattie
8^)
"The spirit dance was unfolding..."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views