10 days pre-op and scared!

gabbyzgr8
on 3/11/04 8:59 am - Naples, FL
Hey guys, I am 10 days pre op for a lap RNY. Of course, I am scared, nervous, wondering if I'm out of my mind, etc. I have researched and researched for over a year now. I am approved, got the date, got the family coming in town to take care of my kids while I recover. I have an adorable husband who's stuck it out with me thick and thin (No pun, I mean REALLY) for the last 10 years. He is super supportive. I am wondering what it is going to be like for the first 10 days. I suffer from panic disorder, and I am on 100mg Zoloft for it. I will be switching to liquid Zoloft, and eventually weening off of it. I haven't had any sever anxiety or a panic attack for a long time, but I get all wierd when I am in a lot of pain, and I kind of get anxious when I feel sick or in a lot of pain. Can anyone relate, has anyone had this surgery who has OCD's, chronic anxiety, panic, etc.???? I kneed some comforting strokes from those who made it through without a meltdown! Love to you all, Gabriella
melindainfla
on 3/11/04 12:32 pm - pinellas county, fl
Gabriella, I don't have any words of wisdom...just well wishes!!!! Melinda
heatheraltema
on 3/11/04 2:58 pm - altamonte springs, FL
clam down and breeth........ now take it one day at a time you will do fine. pray to your higher being and meditate. I am 2 weeks post op and have done great I wish you the best just the same.
Beebe S.
on 3/11/04 3:35 pm - PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Gabriella: I take welbutrin for depression. It also helped with the panic attacks. I have not been clinically diagnosed with them, but I know when I have one. For me, the panic attacks are mild and I talk myself down from them. Prior to surgery was the toughest for me. I had to talk to myself and keep myself calm. You should do the same. Be sure to look at what is really going on and don't let your mind wander about the what if's. For me, when I arrived at the hospital I waiting in the waiting room until they called me. That was the longest 30 minutes ever. Once they had me in pre op it went pretty smooth. They started my iv, did the pregnancy test. Asked me the usual questions. (Every diff hosp empl will ask the same quesitons.) After that it was off to the pre surg holding area. That was torture. It must have been less than 25 minutes, but I wanted to get off the stretcher and run. At this point, I had to keep reminding myself why I made the decision to do it in the first place. I was wheeled into the surgery room. I moved myself to the operating table. Then the anastheologist put the mask on me and told me to take several deep breaths and that was it. The first week is rough pain wise, but you have medicine to help. For me, wiping after going potty was hard. I actually let my husband do it for me. I never thought I would ever have to have help doing that. He did it no problems. What a great man! My meals in the hospital were very simple. An ounce of juice and an ounce of jello. That's it. My surgeon puts us on clear liquids for five days then advances to full liquids for five more days. Then soft for five, the soft w/bread. Then finally regular diet. For me, the second week was better. The head hungries just about did me in a time or two. I wish you the best and please let me know if I talk to you about anything. [email protected]. Best wishes
Kathy S.
on 3/11/04 7:51 pm - Port Orange, FL
Beebe, how long did the actual surgery take and did you wake up nauseous? Did you vomit at any time in the hospital? Kathy~
SimplyRedHead
on 3/11/04 9:44 pm - Longwood, FL
Beebe, Thanks for telling those of us still pre op about your experience in the hospital surgery day. I am so in the dark about what to expect since the last surgery I had was to have my tonsils out when I was five. I keep thinking about what I see on ER and although I know that is not what I am facing, it IS my only glimpse at hospital experiences these days LOL. Any one else wanna share your "Day in the Life at the Hospital" before, during or after surgery, I am sure many of us and our families would appreciate your experience(s). Thanks, Amy pre-op Longwood, FL
melissaparish
on 3/12/04 3:56 am - Brandon, FL
My husband and I had the surgery 5 months ago (we're down 215 lbs. between us). I know what you mean about being scared of the unknown. Here's how our days went. Arrived at the hospital to pre-op and were greeted by the nicest staff. My husband had his surgery first, so I waited with him, then it was my turn. After the pre-op staff readied us and took our vitals, put in the IV, etc. we were taken to a pre-op holding area. There we were greeted by another very sweet group of nurses who only wanted to make us comfy. Then, our surgeon came to visit and we were rolled into OR. LOL . . the last thing either of us remember is moving onto the OR table and then waking up in recovery. The whole procedure went so well! By the time I came out of surgery, my husband was up walking around and was waiting on me in my room. How much better could it get? We were up and walking around multiple times a day and feeling good. :0) One little tip that really helped us . . . you have to wait 24 hours to do a barium swallow, so you get nothing to drink. During that 24 hrs, the nurses gave lemon flavored glycerin swabs. Those really help with the dry mouth. After the swallow, it was onto our ice chips and then to broth. When we went home (3 days after surgery), we continued on the broth. Before our surgery, we made homemade chicken broth, miso soup, wonton soup (sans the wontons) and froze them into ice trays then put the cubes in ziplock bags. The cubes were 1 oz. each and easy to thaw in the microwave. We also used little 4 oz. measuring shot glasses to get that "visual" for our liquids we were drinking. Oh, and just to tell you how well it all went, at 8 days post-op our doctor allowed us to even start bike riding. You'll be feeling great! I know we sure do and would do this again in a heartbeat. Hope some of this helps ease your mind a little. Melissa Tampa, FL
Lexa321
on 3/12/04 8:53 am - weston, FL
be brave... you can do it!!
SimplyRedHead
on 3/12/04 11:08 am - Longwood, FL
Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. Fingers crossed, I am on the approval path Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views