My surgeon has only done 5 WLS...

Kathy S.
on 3/5/04 4:29 am - Port Orange, FL
My surgeon has only done 5 WLS, but he's a trauma surgeon, and I figure who better to have for a surgeon in case something goes wrong, right? I'm on Florida Health Care in Daytona Beach and this is the only Doctor they have doing it because it's an HMO. Anyhow, there is a whole team, including the nutritionist, the physchiatrist, the surgeon, etc... We'll see... I don't have a date yet, waiting on April when I'll have my share of the money ($725ish, this includes the co-pay and the program cost). Then maybe he'll have done more surgeries. P.S..... when it gets closer, I may need an angel (hint, hint) Good luck to everyone!!! Kathy~
SimplyRedHead
on 3/5/04 5:08 am - Longwood, FL
Wow, I'm surprised that he is the only surgeon your insurance will allow to do the surgery. Make sure you find out more about the surgeon's reputation before you proceed. Does he have former WLS patients that you could speak with? I'm not trying to be unsupportive, just want you to be careful because this isn't something to take lightly. My surgeon has done over 700 surgeries so I feel that he has a very keen eye for any unexpected issues, plus I researched the hospital to make sure the care there was experienced in WLS. Good luck
boemary
on 3/5/04 5:50 pm - Ocala, FL
Hello kathy. I will be your angel! If you will have me, I just wanted to say this so their is no misunderstandings later like what happened today on the Marchers board, I pray and I am Catholic, so if you would like to accept my offer to be your angel I would be delighted to get to know you, I am not overly religious just raised with good morals and this is my faith, just wanted to share this information with you... call me if you like 352-261-1026 I also have an aunt who lives in Daytona area off taylor road (port orange exit) she just bought a nice doublewide in a park there (I will probably be in Daytona this Sunday if you would like to meet in person let me know ok! Hugz Mary
SAVAGE
on 3/6/04 3:54 pm - Howell, NJ
Kathy, check out his credentials and make sure he has no complaints agains him. He probley is ok if he is a trauma surgeon but I would check to see if there is someone else who does WLS in your area. There must be doc's in Jaxsonville and I know Gainsville as well. it could be worth the drive! I live in nj and am on this message board to try and find out info for my sister who is hopeing to have surgery soon. her doc close to her has only done 20 or so . I am not comfortable with that . .best of luck not intended to be a downer but be very carefull. There was a big show on tv this week about docs going and taking a course to do the laperscopic WLS on the weekend and start them the next week!!!! this is a billion dollor business and here in nj there have been a few doc's thrown out of there hospitlas for to many deaths and lawsuites. I am checking out my dos as well i have been to three so far to make sure I make the right choice.. God bless and just know we are DIVAS in the makeing!! Joycelyn
Kathy S.
on 3/6/04 10:23 pm - Port Orange, FL
Joycelyn, I missed that show... didn't even know it was going to be on... wish I would have. Anywho.. My insurance is an HMO which is only in three counties in Florida... Volusia, Flagler, and Seminole, and Volusia county has the hospital and the Dr. and this is the only choice we have on this insurance. I have met other people who have had Dr. Black do other surgeries and they have told me to trust him because even though he's only done a few WLS, he's done 1000s of similar type surgeries being a trauma surgeon. He's had to bypass parts before because of accidents and such. Anyway, I appreciate your concern, for I too am still concerned. But after meeting Dr. Black and after speaking to former patients, I'm feeling a bit more comfortable. I also found out that this has been a process in the making for over a year now for Dr. Black and his team. They've been doing extensive training and preparing to put this into place. This is very new to our insurance plan. Good luck to you and your sister ... and I've heard there is a good team in Ocala also. Kathy~
SAVAGE
on 3/9/04 3:49 pm - Howell, NJ
Hey Kathy, I undertand the limits of your hospital coverage , I have the same issue and I work for a hospital system with three hospitals Meridian Health care here in NJ. So I can go to another hospital yet it will only pay 80%. So doing the math is the bill is $25,000 i will owe $5,000! if i go to my inner circle hospital they comp the bill totally..so guess where I will have my surgery?? So I am going to their Inner circle guy who has a good rep here but he was not my first choice. I am sure your guy will be ok. If he is a trama surgeon that would make me feel better to. I use to owrk MEd Surg Trauma ICU and it is amazing what they do with bad traumas. I have seen miracles get better after a horrible wreck ect. I did not mean to rain on your parade the main thing is that YOU are comfortable with this man! I can't wait to get mine done and head to the lighter siade as everyone says!!! Best of luck to you , when are you having the surgery??? I go for the info session march 30 then I am off to the races getting all the precerts done hopefully byend of summer. KEep me posted on your progress. I heard the guy in Ocala is good to, but like my sister said, to far from lakeland to have to go for all the follow up. god blee JOycelyn
Stephanie L.
on 3/7/04 11:38 pm - Orlando, FL
Joycelyn, Please have your sister(and you) check out Dr. Jawad in Ocala Florida. He has been doing this surgery and other versions of it since the 70's. He is wonderful and very competent!!!! his number is 352-351-5770 Good luck Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views