Blue Cross Blue Shield

sissi818
on 2/11/04 11:10 pm - Orange Park, Fl
RNY on 01/31/03 with
Hello everyone, Just read in the newspaper here in Jax that as of 2005, BC/BS will not be covering WLS or any Weight loss plans at all. The Chief medical director Forrester, refered to it as "This Self-induced lifestyle problem needs to be addressed at the root...not through an easy-fix procedure in which we think there are safety and efficacy risks." Bet this guy has never had a weight problem!!! Here is the link: http://cgi.jacksonville.com/cgi-bin/printit.cgi?story=ZZNOSTORYZZ Even though I have already had the surgery, I am such an advocate for it. I feel that BC/BS is cheating people here! I am going to see if I can find out where to send emails, mail and phone calls for my brothers and sisters in this fight against the monster of obesity! Blessings, Susan W.
catlady
on 2/12/04 1:48 am - Ft Gaines, GA
I heard about it on the news on the way to work this morning. I just got my surgery date yesterday and it upset me immensley. So I found the article and read it. I agree with you but there is part of the article that I agree that some doctors are in the business for the money. I belive there are doctors doing the surgery that are not qualified to do the surgery and that is causing part of this problem. BCBS made me jump through hoops to get my approval and I believe that is as it should be. This is not an easy quick fix. It is in most cases, our last chance. That is what they do not understand. If we looked at the people making the decisions we would probabl find they have no weight issues personally. If they would come to this website and read some of the profiles of people who have been struggling with their weight for so long and how it has affected their lives and how much this surgery has improved their lives I think we would see a change of heart. (That is if they have one of those.) Please post those links or websites when you find them. thanks
sissi818
on 2/12/04 2:23 am - Orange Park, Fl
RNY on 01/31/03 with
What upsets me the most is that they are excluding this on the opinion that they will be paying too much and there is not enough documentation of risks! The NIH has 10 years of it right now! I argree with you, that there are some docs that are in it just for the money. But, mind you, insurance only pays reasonable and customary charges! Which for WLS is only 1500 dollars at the MOST and this covers all of your post op visits up to 18 months! I believe like you do, that there should be some difficulty in getting approval but to exclude...grrr!!! The United Healthcare dude saying that they were not in the Medical necessity business!! Glad I am not him. I work for a center that does the intake for Dr. Steve Webb in Jacksonville and I know that handling the insurance for WLS is very difficult. I just feel real bad for the people coming along behind us that will not have a change because they cannot pay for it out of pocket! When is your surgery scheduled with Dr. Thorburn. I think he is great and I have a lot of friends that have been to him!! Blessings, Susan
nancy P.
on 2/12/04 6:39 am - cape coral, FL
Hi. Susan, I just got approved with BCBS in 1 day, But I am one of the lucky ones, and I agree withyou both we need to fight them to the ends of the earth, I tried going to the link but "could not find the story", and you are soooo right the CEO of BCBS does not and never had a weight problem or anyone in his family. Thanks Nancy
BullDog Lady
on 2/12/04 7:29 am - Somewhere GREAT!
Well.... I have BCBS also. All this really angers me. I am tryin to get all my info together and hopefully have an approval by this august or september. The only real thing I need is my "supervised" diet history and I am currently going through it now. If there is any kind of email addy that we can send email to about this I would REALLY like to have it because BCBS will get a mouth full from me on this subject. You can truly bet that none of there employees or familys have obesity problems, or they would not be doing this. As for pay outs.....crap...the Only thing they want is to get more of our money. If they dont have to pay for our surgery then we use up the insurance goiung to the doctor seeing about high blood pressure/swelling/etc...you know different things. I would like too tell them to walk a mile in my shoes and see jsut how friggin far they get. UGGHHH let me get off my soap box for now. If there is a addy though someone please post it!! Thanks Becky
sissi818
on 2/13/04 5:01 am - Orange Park, Fl
RNY on 01/31/03 with
Hey Everyone, Sorry about that link: Here is another one to that story http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/021204/met_14797793.shtml Hope this helps. I have tried all day to find out where this guy is. Our surgeon is also looking so maybe I will have an address by monday!! Have a good weekend and Hope you have a glorious and wonderful Valentines Day!! Susan
sissi818
on 2/16/04 12:46 am - Orange Park, Fl
RNY on 01/31/03 with
Hello Everyone, Here is the person to write to regarding BCBS Health Options: Robert I. Lufrano, M.D. President and Chief Operating Officer Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Health Options P.O. Box 1798 Jacksonville, Fl 32231 Hope this helps! Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views