Call all Pre-Ops and New Post-ops

Patty.W
on 1/9/04 10:31 am
This is for all of you contemplating surgery and some answers are for the new post-ops. Please remember this is general layman overview and there will be a few exceptions to everything! After reading this board for the last year and a half I decided to condense a few answers into one post. I, of course, do not consider myself an expert, but just thought to put a few answers all together in one message. It is rather long but I hope you will all read and heed and pass on: Hair loss: Yep its gonna happen. No matter what you do, say, or ingest. It is a side effect of the surgery and your post op diet. You can minimize it and make yourself feel better by taking Biotin, Zinc, getting in lots of protein, and using the shampoos they have for hair loss. It'll start about 3 months out and go to about 5-6 months. You won't go bald and it will grow back. No matter what...it's gonna happen (as I have been told recently, there are a FEW lucky exceptions, but very few). You have to except it. Vitamins: You'll need a one-a-day type vitamin (start with children's chewables then graduate to adult). You'll need to take Calcium Citrate with magnesium and Vitamin D. TUMS AND VIACTIV ARE NOT THE RIGHT KIND OF CALCIUM! I take an extra E and an extra C because I feel like its good for me. I get a B-12 shot every month. I prefer this method to sublingual. Our bodies don't absorb B-12 like they use too so we have to supplement. Some ladies also need an extra iron pill. Don't take your iron and calcium at the same. You'll have to follow this complete vitamin regimen for the rest of your life. Dumping/Vomiting: Yep, its gonna happen. Sooner or later it'll get ya. Some more than others. I thought I was immune to dumping and low and behold about 4 months ago I ate some ice cream and wham! Fast heart rate, nausea, cold sweats, and tiredness. It passed and taught me a valuable lesson. You will get sick if you eat too fast or overeat. At 16 months out I still act stupid and do that to myself. Sex: ooooh! good subject! How long do you have to wait to have sex after surgery? There is no specific time you have to wait. Do it when you feel like it and not before. Listen to your body and I suggest a position where there is no weight on your stomach. Lack of Energy: After surgery you will be tired for a while...a couple months at least. You just had major surgery and your body has to heal. Give it time...you have the rest of your life to jump into all kinds of activities. Be kind to your body. Driving/Going back to work: Go back to work when you body tells you it's OK. My surgeon puts a driving restriction on his patients for 2 weeks so that dictated when I would go back. But if you don't feel like it...take the time and heal. Listen to your body. For the Women: Menstruation: You will most likely start your period in the hospital right after surgery. Even if you had it the week before you will have it again. The doctors and nurses are use to it, don't be embarrassed. Plateaus: Yep, its gonna happen. No matter what you do, say, or ingest. It's your body's way of catching up with itself. It has to recuperate from the rapid weight loss and balance itself out. They may last for a week or several months. Patience and perseverance. On the same subject, you will hit periods of time that you will lose inches rather than pounds. Keep your tape measure handy and when you start feeling like nothing is going on with your body, take your measurements and you will be pleasantly surprised! Soda/No Soda: The camps are divided. I say moderation. If you want one and can tolerate it, have it. It WILL NOT STRETCH your pouch. If you decide to sample, pour it into a glass full of ice so some of the carbonation will disburse. The carbonation will come out of your body one way or another just like it did before surgery. Caffeine/No caffeine: Again the camps are divided and again I say moderation. Caffeine does dehydrate you. If you are gonna drink it make sure you compensate with an equal (or more) amount of water. Smoking: Quit if you can. I couldn't. I did cut back. That said...I underwent my surgery and had no complications. I was home in two days and back to work in two weeks. Healed just fine. Some people say 'Why continue to smoke if you are having this surgery to get healthier? It ain't that simple. Smoking is bad for you...we know that. Quit if you can. Loose Skin: Yep, is gonna happen. No matter what you do, say, or ingest. We have stretched our skin past its limit and it's not gonna bounce back. Firming lotions make you feel good, but no lasting effects. Skin wraps are a waste of your money. Expect the loose skin and make plans for how you will deal with it. Lastly, To Have the Surgery or Not: You must make the decision after you have gathered all the research and given it a lot of thought. It IS a Life-Altering decision and you MUST make it carefully. READ everything you can get your hands on, read ALL the Q&As on this website, read the Library (all the questions pre and post-op). Read the memorial section (I know there are several people out there that would disagree with this but to me NOT reading it equates to sticking your head in the sand). Death is a real possibility. So are all kinds of complications. You HAVE to realize this and prepare yourself and your family. Don't be an ostrich. Knowledge is power and the more powerful you are going into this surgery the better it will go for you. I believe a positive attitude helps in recovery and healing. If you have the smallest doubt...don't do it. Don't let yourself be one of the ones who say they regret it and why didn't someone tell me this could happen? Anything can happen before, during, and after major surgery. Be 200% sure this is what you want. OK, I threw my 2 cents in the hat. Hope it helps some of y'all. Good luck to everyone on this journey of life. Life's a Beach just don't get Burned!
Beebe S.
on 1/9/04 12:30 pm - PENSACOLA, FL
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I do agree with you on reading the memorial pages. It is a possibility. We can see the ones who pass, but the many others who do not.
boemary
on 1/9/04 12:36 pm - Ocala, FL
Patty , thanks for thoes words of wisdom! These words could only be spoken by someone who has had time/ experience with w.l.s.. I havnt had my surgery yet, but i just wanted you to know I am thankful for people like you in this world who care enough to take the time out to Go the xtra mile to help inform others of their life experiences, if only all of life was this way!God Bless you! you are a true angel! Mary in Fl.
Stephanie L.
on 1/12/04 6:15 am - Orlando, FL
OK-I must say that I agree with everything you have said****EXCEPT THE SODA PART***** As a nurse I must say that if you drink soda all the time--the build up of carbonation can and will stretch you back out---but only if you are non compliant(((and be careful about the reg sodas---too much sugar and you will get the dreaded DUMP!)))))) I sont see an issue with like you said, moderation. I have taken about 4 drinks of soda and I am 5 mos out--the carbonation kills me--painful and even the diet sodas are just too sweet tasting. Please be clear people--your whole life is moderation now--this was an instant lifestyle change to get us back to the way we should have been eating all along--I was drinking about 3 2-liters a day of soda before the surgery---maybe you'll be lucky and no stretching but why chance it???? After all we went thru--I work for an ins company and I have had calls from people wanting their 2nd and even THIRD bypass surgery!! Could you imagine?? But it does happen, other than that--I am glad you put out that statement--I think it willl help a lot of people! Stephanie.
MizCathy
on 1/30/04 9:08 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thank you so much for all that wonderful and very helpful information. I am going through the process of approval for the surgery and I read everything that I can get my hands on about this surgery. I just love the way you broke things down. That really helps a lot. Again, thanks.... Cathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views