Medicaid (Share of Coast) Help!!!

goodbyegordita
on 11/13/09 12:54 am - Miami, FL
Ok I am feeling so hopeless. I have been trying to get WLS for the last ten years.
Ive been to all the local seminars but cannot find anyone who will try and get me accepted.
Doesnt matter what insurance I have or had. My weight is sky rocketing over 400 lbs.
Im sure I have sleep apnea. My legs are so swollen I cant walk without pain.

Now my hubby lost his job and we lost our insurance. I have heard Medicaid pays for surgury
but of coarse I end up with Medicaid ( share of cost) which apparently you cant even get in the door with.....

Anyone have any advice or hope for me...I need to find a doctor who will see me and try and help me......

Please write me
[email protected]
Nora73
on 11/13/09 11:50 am - Pensacola, FL
 I hope a lot come forward on this, there  are a lot of women with the same insurance as you  that are in line to have WLS . I know there is a great doctor near you that does it but I can't find my notes... look on the main page there is a post for medicaid and  posted by OH  members have posted about there doctors excepting the Share of cost... if you look at my friends pages there is one on there.  There is some hope!  You have to also be healthy enough for the surgery, and there are other test you have to do to get qualified.   I live in Pensacola, but I can't find a local doctor to take my Medicaid /Medipass so I am traveling 6 hours to Gainesville to have it done... Totaly worth it! 

I wish you the best luck!
brandy9776
on 11/17/09 1:16 am - Rural Retreat , VA
Hello! I have Medicaid Share of Cost. The only dr. that excepts this type of insurance is at Shans Hospital in Gainsville, Fl. Dr. Ben-David. Please contact them. Amelia, i think that's her name. She told me that the only thing i had to pay out of pocket for was to see the Psychologist. I can see theirs or someone here close to me. Give them a call. Here is the link for their website. www.surgery.ufl.edu/bariatrics/
Good luck and let me know what you find out.
Brandy

SW: 318  CW: 315  GW: 165

Surgery Date: Aug. 5, 2014 with Dr. Ranjan Sudan

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/09 9:03 am, edited 11/19/09 6:23 am - plant city, FL
I have Medicaid share of cost as well, and there are docotors who accept this. When I first started researching wls, I was told I would never find a surgeon in Florida who accepts Medicaid, that is not true. I have only looked into surgeons in my general area, so I am not sure who accepts it where you live. As mentioned above, Shands hospital accepts Medicaid, and they have an excellent bariatric program. As I live in the Tampa Bay area, I have chosen to go with Dr. Michel Murr. Dr. Murr is a renowned surgeon, and has perfomed close to 2,000 wls. He is the Director of Bariatric Sugery for Tampa General Hospital, the Professor of Surgery for USF, and is on numerous boards. His bariatric coordinator is Susan Orellana 813-844-7473. Good luck!
orlandoweightloss
on 12/22/09 3:28 am - orlando, FL

I have medicaid share of cost BUT I meet my share of cost every single month thru my medications at the pharmacy which in turn gives me FULL MEDICAID each month.  When you get medicaid this way it is always NON HMO based, its considered "straight medicaid".  Dr. Kim's office in Celebration Florida will accept this but they do charge a 600.00 PROGRAM FEE which i think is ridiculous.  I am still not sure if EVERYONE gets charged this or just us medicaid people?  I know government insurance/medicaid/medicare pays out very low....so not sure if this is why?  ALSO dr. kim requires you to see HIS psychologist which is 500.00!!!  Medicaid will pay for it but wont pay for that one!  So, its a bit upsetting but I live in orlando and I really dont want to have to drive all the way to gainesville FL just to save 1100.00. 

goodbyegordita
on 2/16/10 3:25 am - Miami, FL
Thank you all for the info. I dont feel so hopeless now. You guys rock :)
rcgarcia80
on 6/3/11 3:16 am - largo, FL
hey mama did u ever get the surgery done?

M. J
on 8/12/10 9:13 am - West Palm Beach, FL
I have YET to find a surgeon in my area (Palm Beach) thats accepts this insurance! Im having to drive 4 hours to Ocala to Dr Hoddinott which is the only Dr that I have found :/
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views