Insurance Companies in Florida and WLS

Eme 2009
on 11/11/09 5:46 am - FL
I read somewhere that almost all insurance companies in Florida dropped any sort of weightloss surgery or support coverage (if they had it to begin with).  Anyone have any experience with this?  I have BCBS of Florida and they have never covered WLS or anything aside from a discount to Jenny Craig in the 6 years I've lived here.  I'm just curious about benefits in our state. I have family in NY and 2 of them had full coverage with a BCBS plan for their WLS. 
Also, any of you who have had to resort to going to Mexico for surgery due to lack of coverage?  How have you handled your medical needs when returning to Florida?  Any problems?  Any rave reviews? 

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

wings
on 11/14/09 12:21 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
HI
My hubby works for WastePro and we have BCBS thru SC instead of Floirda which we dont understand that but oh well. 

We have the PPO plan which is the best they offer and they have excluded all WLS.  I did check the lower plans and they also have no wls coverage. 

I don't understand why insurance wont cover wls when obesity is the leading cause of illnesses that cost the insurance companies alot of money. 

I wish you Luck. 
Wings
Eme 2009
on 11/14/09 4:07 am - FL
I don't understand it either!  I guess if we all got TOO healthy, they'd have nothing to make money off of...???

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

cdkstar75
on 11/14/09 4:20 am - Edgewood, MD
My husband is in the military and we have Tricare which completely convered my band surgery. I know this doesn't help most people but it really was great.
rocko55
on 11/16/09 12:42 am - Lauderhill, FL
AvMed is only in Florida and they cover the lap and rny.
Naomi B.
on 11/16/09 7:08 am
I am in So. Fla and have Vista. They DO NOT cover WL surgery. Had to pay for it out of pocket...or should I say out of bank. LOL

AshleyDillo
on 11/17/09 11:59 am - Tallahassee, FL

BCBSFL dropped coverage for WLS across the board in 2003 or 2004 I believe.  They do offer a rider that companies can purchase that covers the surgery.

I have AvMed and my policy covered my surgery.

State workers are covered through the BCBS PPO.

If you get the surgery done out of the country, make sure you find a local bariatric surgeon who will be willing to provide your aftercare.  Be prepared to pay out of pocket for those visits as your insurance will likely not cover it.

Also, a big part of success with the surgery is support.  Find a local support group to attend..it really does help a lot.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views