How do I convince Medicare to pay for WLS

Patsy B.
on 12/22/03 8:46 am - Oldsmar, FL
My surgeon says Medicare does pay for this surgery if I can convince them it is necessary and that I've tried to lose this weight on my own. I've never join Jenny Craig or Weigh****chers, but my Dr. has sent me to nutrutionist to do it on my own this has been going on for 42 years, please give me some help
Bieniasz
on 12/22/03 9:25 am - Tampa, FL
Patsy- I don't know the answer to your question, but if I were you I would post this message on the main message board. It will get much more attention. www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/messageboard/ Best of Luck! Lori
Shayna T.
on 12/22/03 10:22 am - Miami, FL
I think you'll need more information from your doctor or surgeon as to what the requirements to qualify for weight loss surgery is under your current insurance plan. Plans and insurers vary as to requirements. I was able to call customer service on my insurance card and find out the qualifying information but my surgeon also knew what my particular insurance requires for approval. Good luck! ~ T.
Ashanta C.
on 12/27/03 4:53 am - Brandon, FL
i talked to martha from dr.murr and she said the only way medicare will pay for the surgey is if you have sleep apena. you would have to get a sleep study done so they can tell you if you have it
boemary
on 12/28/03 2:33 pm - Ocala, FL
Hi Ashanta ,just so you know it doesnt just have to be sleep apnea,per say, it could be other things also like diabetis typeII, or highblood pressure or a combo of things, as long as it was done for a medical nesssesity, which the doc has to prove after the surgery.. I know I have medicare and I live in Fl. and will be having my rny in feb 2004 God Willing... hope this helps God Bless ! Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views