Discouraged 6 mos post op

Cassie O.
on 11/30/03 9:50 am - Jacksonville, FL
I feel discouraged but shouldnt. I feel like Im failing but Im not. I have lost 63 lbs in 6 mos. Why does this upset me, because in Sept I had lost 50. Its 3 mos later and I have only lost 13. Worse, in the last 2 mos I have only lost 6 for the grand total of 63. Im not happy yet and Im afraid Im going to stop losing. Open RNY. I started at 234 and Im at 171. I feel like I eat way more than a 2 oz pouch should hold and Im still hungry. I graze at times and I know all of that is wrong. I cant seem to get past the "youre gonna fail" syndrome. I know I dont drink enough and by the way 10 lbs of that weight was hair. Its still coming out. I have worked out since I was told I could and have done so religously no less than 3 days a week and 7 miles a day. But now I have a lovely hernia and have been told to stop working out.... UGH... why do so many at my same size say woo hoo I have met my goal and im only 8 mos out ugh.. I want to slap them silly. why do they lose so quickly and I am not. At 3 mos post op my dr was concerned that I had lost so much 50lbs in 3 mos man I was excited. Now when I go on Friday, I cant imagine him being concerned with only a 13 lb loss in 3 mos. I feel like Im done losing and I hate that Im not ready to stop yet. I know I want a tummy tuck and will go into debt to do it.. vanity ugh...
GeorgineVJ
on 11/30/03 10:24 am - Caribou, ME
sounds to me like you should contact your surgeon's office. you could have a blown staple line which would account for both being able to eat more AND feeling hungry. If you are going to get your hernia repaired, sometimes if you have a lot of extra skin you can get a panniculectomy covered in the same operation. My surgeon does these quite often. 13 pounds in 3 months does not sound like the weight loss you should expect. I am only 3 months out and I've lost 80 pounds and I still have a hard time eating more than 2 oz. Hang in there and check with your surgeon.
Patty.W
on 11/30/03 11:26 am
Cassie, DON'T FEEL DISCOURAGED!!!!!!! Read my profile. We are lightweights and will not lose like those heavier than us! Your weight loss timeframe is moving along the same line as mine and you worked out! I haven't...which means you are also building muscle. Your hair loss should stop within a month. You are doing fine! Just remember...you didn't put the weight on "overnight" and it won't come off "overnight." Find a little patience...keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. My surgeon is completely happy with my weight loss. He calls me one of his biggest success stories! Good luck and keep your chin up (keeps the skin from sagging so much!
Cassie O.
on 12/1/03 12:18 am - Jacksonville, FL
I hadnt thought much about muscle weighing more than fat. That is probably exactly why people in my same range are losing faster because they are not in the gym.. Thanks.. You really helped. You are past your year good for you. oh man I hate sagging. laugh. thanks again
Joseph N.
on 11/30/03 10:53 pm - Clearwater, FL
This isn't the place to be sensitive, so here goes. You started at a lighter weight than most folks having this surgery. Stop feeling sorry for yourself! You have lost almost 30% of your total body weight. If you want to get more effective at losing weight start walking 2 to 3 miles each morning. If you feel you don't have time, get over yourself and get your butt out of bed an hour earlier. Change your eating habits. Kick it up by going on "protein shakes only" for about three days. Drink 4 to 6 a day. Have you been taking all of your vitamins and iron? Revisit your instructions from your surgeon. Are you following all the information? At the end of your three days of protein drinks go immediately to an Atkins or South Beach diet. If you are serious you can do this. Joe in Clearwater
Cassie O.
on 12/1/03 12:10 am - Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for your candor, Im not sensitive- however, I am a bit taken aback by your lack of reading. Perhaps if you plan to respond to a message so strongly, you should read it through. I have been more than faithful with my work out program usually 5 days a week at 7 miles per day. Not just walking but giving it every oz of sweat. I have had to discontinue it due to a hernia upon the advice of my physicians. Thanks for the advice on the three days of just shakes I will try that. I take all of my Vitamins daily but I lack on the protein, thus the hair loss. Why would anyone who is not serious go through such an ordeal. If nothing else, your mail did make me more determined. Thanks
BreWilliams
on 12/4/03 11:14 pm - Orlando, FL
171 doesn't sound bad to me...sorry
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr