Calling All Pre-Ops and New Post-Ops

Patty.W
on 11/18/03 4:38 am
I posted this yesterday on the main AMOS message site but thought maybe some of you here on the Florida Board could use it too. This is for all of you contemplating surgery and some answers are for the new post-ops. I normally lurk and post only once in a while but what the hey...might as well join in. After reading this board for the last year and a half I decided to condense a few answers into one post. I, of course, do not consider myself an expert, but just thought to put a few answers all together in one message. It is rather long but I hope you will all read and heed and pass on: Hairloss: Yep its gonna happen. No matter what you do, say, or ingest. It is a side effect of the surgery and your post op diet. You can minmize it and make yourself feel better by taking Biotin, Zinc, and lots of protein and the shampoos they have for hair loss. It'll start about 3 months out and go to about 5-6 months. You won't go bald and it will grow back. No matter what...its gonna happen. You have to except it. Vitamins: You'll need a one-a-day type vitamin (start with children's chewables then graduate to adult). You'll need to take Calcium Citrate with magnesium and Vitamin D. TUMS AND VIACTIV ARE NOT THE RIGHT KIND OF CALCIUM! I take an extra E and and extra C because I feel like its good for me. I get a B-12 shot every month. I prefer this method to sublingual. Our bodies don't absorb B-12 like they use too so we have to supplement. You'll have to follow this vitamin regimen for the rest of your life. Dumping/Vomiting: Yep, its gonna happen. Sooner or later it'll get ya. Some more than others. I thought I was immune to dumping and low and behold about 2 months ago I ate some ice cream and wham! Fast heart rate, nausea, cold sweats, and tiredness. It passed and taught me a valuable lesson. You will get sick if you eat too fast or overeat. At 14 months out I still act stupid and do that to myself. Lack of Energy: After surgery you will be tired for a while...a couple months at least. You just had major surgery and your body has to heal. Give it time...you have the rest of your life to jump into all kinds of activities. Be kind to your body. For the Women: Menstruation: You will most likely start your period in the hospital right after surgery. Even if you had it the week before you will have it again. The doctors and nurses are use to it, don't be embarrassed. Plateaus: Yep, its gonna happen. No matter what you do, say, or ingest. Its your body's way of catching up with itself. It has to recuperate from the rapid weight loss and balance itself out. They may last for a week or several months. Patience and perseverance. Soda/No Soda: The camps are divided. I say moderation. If you want one and can tolerate it, have it. It WILL NOT STRETCH your pouch. The carbonation will come out one way or anoither just like it did before surgery. Smoking: Quit if you can. I couldn't. I did cut back. That said...I underwent my surgery and had no complications. I was home in two days and back to work in two weeks. Healed just fine. Some people say 'Why continue to smoke if you are having this surgery to get healthier? It ain't that simple. Smoking is bad for you...we know that. Quit if you can. Loose Skin: Yep, is gonna happen. No matter what you do, say, or ingest. We have stretched our skin past its limit and its not gonna bounce back. Firming lotions make you feel good, but no lasting effects. Skin wraps are a waste of your money. Expect the loose skin and make plans for how you will deal with it. Lastly, To Have The Surgery Or Not: You must make the decision after you have gathered all the research and given it a lot of thought. It IS a Life-Altering decision and you MUST make it carefully. READ everything you can get your hands on, read ALL the Q&As on this website, read the Library (all the questions pre and post-op). Read the memorial section. Death is a real possiblity. So are all kinds of complications. You HAVE to realize this and prepare yourself and your family. Don't be an ostrich. Knowledge is power and the more powerful you are going into this surgery the better it will go for you. I believe a positive attiude helps in recovery and healing. If you have the smallest doubt...don't do it. Don't let yourself be one of the ones who say they regret it and why didn't someone tell me this could happen? Anything can happen before, during, and after major surgery. Be 200% sure this is what you want. OK, I threw my 2 cents in the hat. Hope it helps some of y'all. Good luck to everyone on this journey of life.
exc98765
on 11/18/03 5:52 am - deltona, fl
all I can say is SUPERBLY DONE...debbie
Shannon G.
on 11/19/03 10:40 pm
thanks for the info. I am having my by-pass done on the 9th of December. It is amazing how much info is out there. I want to thank everyone. I love reading the stories and profiles. Good bless to all
Sunnisunshine
on 11/28/03 9:35 am - Sebastian, FL
Here, Here! Well said. I am 10 days post op, and feel like I was one of the ones *****searched this surgery, and it's various outcomes to the ninth! However, with that said, I must add to your posting in that to expect periods of thinking, "what have I done?" Which I experienced in the hosp a few times because of a few minor complications. This will pass, and I am quite sure it will cross my mind at some rare moments in my life, but that's ok. Now, I feel as I did before, it was the right decision for me, and will continue to be the right one. And to keep in mind that we all may be experiencing the same procedure, but it will effect us all in very differently, and in various ways. Again, I loved your post! And my best wishes to all who have surgery coming up, and a soft hug to my fresh post ops, and a pat on the back to the older post ops for sharing their experiences with us, so that we may be prepared as best as we can. Happy Belated Thanksgiving! And a quick wave, and hug to my war buddy, Diane! Cindy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views