qestions about leaks?

brandy9776
on 10/25/09 2:48 am - Rural Retreat , VA
I know that everyone who has  had the RNY has asked the same question, but I couldn't find what I was looking for on this topic. I know that I will be asking this of my surgeon also. I just couldn't wait intil next month to ask. So here it is.
1) How often do leaks happen?
2) Can they be prevented?
3) How dangerouse are they really?
4) What's the suvial rate after having a leak?

I hope they don't sound to corney, but these are some of the things that run thru my head all the time. I'm looking into the RNY and the Lapband.

SW: 318  CW: 315  GW: 165

Surgery Date: Aug. 5, 2014 with Dr. Ranjan Sudan

sandyfeets
on 10/25/09 5:44 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
Having been a person with a leak, I feel comfortable answering your question with first hand knowledge.

1) How often do leaks happen? 

I don't know.  However, I would suspect the leak rate is between 5-10%

2) Can they be prevented?  

A good surgeon will take his/her time in stapling things securely.  A good surgeon will use the instruments carefully to avoid nicking other organs that are around those being worked on.  
Only your surgeon would know/be able to tell you.  Now they use a special "tape" along with the staples to help seal the incisions.

3) How dangerouse are they really?
 VERY.  We are talking life threatening if not caught and repaired in time.

4) What's the suvival rate after having a leak?
For me it's 100%  :-)  9 days post-op.  You think you are free and clear... umm nope!
My lea****urred 9 days post-op when the tissue along my anastamosis lost it's blood supply and died.  The necrotic tissue could no longer be held together with the staples and I developed a small pin hole leak.  
It took 2 Upper GI and finally a barium contrast CAT scan to find it. (24 hours after I entered the hospital with symptoms)
Surgery repaired the leak and 5 days of IV antibiotic therapy to clear up the peritonitis that I developed from the dead intestine tissue and stuff that leaked out of the digestive tract.

I felt fine---other than the pain and initial nausea.  I did not have a fever until about an hour before surgery.
The biggest thing about surviving a leak is being a proactive patient.  
If you think something is wrong---CALL your surgeon.  
Head to the ER-  Make sure it's the ER of the hospital you had your surgery in. That ER will be familiar with your surgeon and the possibilities of leak patients.
Make a big stink.  YOUR life depends on fast action.

I went to the ER at 6am in the morning.  Was admitted overnight for observation.  By 9am the next morning and three tests later, they knew the answer.   2 hours later I was in surgery.

Just note that nicks to the digestive system can happen with LAP band also.  I know of someone that had their esophagus nicked in surgery with the LapBand and had to have it removed, the nick repaired and start ALL over again later.
Nothing is fool proof.  That is why it's important to find a surgeon that is WELL experienced in LAP surgery before they ever took up the bariatric portion of medicine AND then has done 100's of surgeries.
You get what you pay for.  Talk to LOTS of your chosen surgeons patients.  Viisit his/her post-op group.

brandy9776
on 10/25/09 7:40 am - Rural Retreat , VA

Thank you Sandyfeets for answering my questions. So it's really the dr.'s you have to worry about doing their jobs right? I'm just really confused as to which wls i want to have. I know this will be up to the surgeon and I, but i don't know. I go to the next seminar Nov. 10th, and it can't get here fast enought. I have started my surperivsed diet with my primary dr. But, I just have soo many worries about what is gonna be safe and right for me. My main worry with the RNY is the leaks. So I will be asking my surgeon alot of questions about this one. lol Thanks again sandyfeets..

SW: 318  CW: 315  GW: 165

Surgery Date: Aug. 5, 2014 with Dr. Ranjan Sudan

maris_38
on 10/25/09 8:09 am - Orlando, FL
Regarding the % of leaks, you'd really have to ask your surgeon what their rate of problems is, as it will vary surgeon to surgeon.
Michael Eak
on 10/26/09 1:54 pm - Largo, FL
It is very rear that there are leaks unattended before the final closing happens. If you ever get the chance to veiw a surgery either live or pre-recorded. You will see that the surgery areas inside you are sprayed with saline washing away the surgical blood to clean the area. And then they pause and watch for leaks. And fix any that appear. Do I say they never happen. NO. They do but it's usually from over-activity after being released. Rather than slowly getting back to your normal sctivities.
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views