clueless and need HELP!

discordya
on 10/21/09 12:16 pm
I am weighing in at 355lbs at age 24. I do not have a job at current, I was babysitting through college and now cannot find a job anywhere. There are many jobs I cannot apply for as standing on my feet in place for long periods of time is horribly painful.

I don't know anything about medicaid or medipass, but I would like to learn. I live in Fort Myers, FL and have gone to the local website for medicaid/medicare it's combined, and it really doesn't have much information. It really just says things about families (i have no children) and the elderly.

I really need help -- whether to go to a doctor to get on some kind of weight loss plan or for surgery (preferred). If anyone can help me, pretty much need my hand held here and I have no idea what I'm doing.

It is dire for me to get help, today went to my gyno for my depo shot (been on this for period control for 2 years) and they took my blood pressure and refused it to me -- BP was 164/100. What can I do with absolutely no money??
wings
on 10/21/09 11:02 pm, edited 10/21/09 11:02 pm - Fort Myers Beach , FL
I am so sorry for your pain. 

I am new to Fort Myers Beach and I too am trying to come up with the money to get to NJ to have revision from lap band to DS. 

I think you should go to your local human services office and inquire about what they may be able to do for you. 

I am just recently being treated for severe hypertension and your blood pressure is very high.  Please go there and see if they can help. 

I truly understand the pain of standing in one spot or standing at all.  I am a nurse and because of my wt I cannot do the job. 

Please feel free to pm me at anytime.  I will try to help as much as I can.

Wings
discordya
on 10/21/09 11:57 pm
I just basically want to know if anyone else knows if in Florida someone like me who has no children and am not elderly would even be considered, but not just because of my blood pressure. It's always going to be an issue if I don't lose some weight and I have tried everything. I really want to get WLS.

As it is right now I am eating a lot healthier, for about 2 months or so I have been eating a lot more veggies and fruits and a lot less sweets. And I'm not losing. I just want to know if anyone else has gotten medicaid help for WLS that is in a similar situation as me.
Michael Eak
on 10/22/09 12:30 am, edited 10/22/09 12:41 am - Largo, FL
You need to go to the Social Security Office to find out about and apply for Disability. If granted then you'll need to wait two years from then approval date to get Medicare.

Medicaid can be applied for also at the SS Office but is governed through the State of Florida Social Services Office or which ever State your in.

Good Luck on getting SSD though as your only 24. Besides your size and other medical problems. It will depend on how much you have been employeed and Taxes taken out..

Otherwise get on the Post-Op Diet of a Weight Loss Surgery patient (aka like the Atkins Diet) Cut out all Sodas, Do NOT eat anything white (carbs - carbs make you crave more carbs within an hour) potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc. - eating mainly proteins (eggs, cheese, meats, chicken. fish, leafy greens, etc.) and walk at least 30 minutes a day. Start out in several smaller treks then work up every day. Swimming is great too. Being that far South it should not be cold too much. And drink zero calorie beverages. Like Crystal Light but the Walmart Brand is cheaper. Coffee, Tea and best is just plain WATER! Try to work up to a gallon a day. Two gallons is even better.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
discordya
on 10/22/09 12:35 am
I have been technically unemployed for 4 years, I did babysitting for 3 of those years but it was not payroll or anything I can collect unemployment on so I don't think they'd count it. I could probably not even mention it since I didn't make a lot of money doing it. I haven't filed taxes for that long, too.

Why would I need to file SSD? Can't you just try for medicaid for a specific purpose (like WLS)? I am in the state of FL, Fort Myers to be exact.

The truth of the matter is in 2 years if nothing is done for me to get help, I may not be alive. And I don't mean that dramatically, but with my blood pressure rising and me not having a way to get to a doctor I'm not sure what to do.

I guess I will have to look up the address to the human services place in my area. I just really was looking for information on eligibility for someone like me. Thank you Michael!
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/09 10:25 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Until you can get control of the insurance/Medicaid stuff I would recommend you take control of the things you can control.  Like Michael said....start following a plan that will help you to start losing weight now which will help with your blood pressure.  Take a close, honest look at what you eat everyday.....write it down and then figure out a few changes you can make to help you lose weight.  If you drink soda, stop.  If you eat a lot of bread and white starches, cut them way down or completely out.  Watch your fats and carbs.  How about TOPS?  I think they are very inexpensive to join and you could benefit from the support....

Have you tried a free clinic?  I have heard that there are free clinics where you can even get meds for your blood pressure.  Research it on-line.  A clinic doctor can also help you to start documenting the medical necessity of WLS for you.

I did not have WLS so I'm not real sure of the process but from what I've read  it's not something that will happen over night so start now by taking simple steps that can improve things for you.

Best wishes to you.
discordya
on 10/22/09 10:32 am
Hi thanks for your reply. I have been dieting and exercising (though not extreme exercise I admit) for a few months already, have switched to mostly lean meats - fresh veggies and fresh fruits. I haven't drank soda for almost about a year or so, I drink water and natural tea (not sweet) only, unless I make an all fruit smoothie (made with frozen fruit and OJ). I just don't lose the weight. I could work harder at exercising but I do walk a good bit and there are stairs in my house. But I have not lost a lb since about 2 years ago.

I have already searched for free clinics or sliding scale in my area, and there is a semi-sliding scale here but it is not cheap enough for me to afford. The only thing they have cheap enough is the gynocologist and I already go there.

Since yesterday when I found my BP was so high I have been watching sodium a lot better, though. And am going to do more searching on the medicaid and go to the office and talk to someone.
varelagirl
on 10/24/09 2:48 pm - Miami, FL
you can apply for medicaid online...google: DCF or Department of Children & Families. You will be contacted by mail & they will set up an interview. There they will determine what you are eligible for. You need to apply, even if you dont have kids, you have nothing to lose...what can they say? No?

I have Medicaid & am going thru the approval process now. My situation is different though, I have 3 kids & my husband has been unemployed since January, so we got full Medicaid.

Good Luck...hopefully you can get approved & start the journey.
Best wishes....

mylittleblackdress
on 10/31/09 12:31 am, edited 10/31/09 12:31 am - FL
Have you tried contacting a bariatric surgeon to see if their financial person can guide you with funding surgery?  Maybe they will take you gratis (for free) or allow you to use a payment plan you could manage in light of your medical urgency.  Its a long-shot but who knows?

You may want to post your question on the main message board.  More people will see it an you may find a doc elsewhere who will help you. 

Good luck!!
Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views