Is there any hope?

Dana F.
on 10/31/03 5:45 pm - Pace, FL
Hello everyone, I am new to using this message board. I was wondering if anyone was ever refused WLS until they obtained a BMI of at least 60? My BMI is 70 and the surgeon I consulted with in Milton, Florida refused to treat me until I lose weight, which I am currently trying to do....My question is this...what other options are open to me locally? I live in Pace which is close to Pensacola. I cannot begin to explain how disheartening it was to be told you are too fat for WLS! It is so depressing. But I am trying to kept my hope for a better life. I have cut out all sweets and sodas. I am the type I have to wean myself to lose weight. I suppose next I will cut out other food items that cause weight gain...*sigh*....just wish that I could be doing this AFTER surgery and see more results. It's been a month and I have seen very little results, but then I haven't weighed yet so who knows. Thanks everyone in advance. Sorry to come on here and vent with my first post! lol
Sunnisunshine
on 10/31/03 8:54 pm - Sebastian, FL
Dana, I am sure I'd feel the same way! But being a nurse, I also understand the reasoning. Remember when we are obese, we have such a higher risk medically with anything, but especially surgery. They just want you to get a little weight off so that you can be a good surgical candidate, and have the best chance for a healthy recovery! Now, you want this surgery, so get psyched, and do what you can!! (trying to kick you in the butt nicely ) If you go on that "Liver Shrinking" diet, it will definitely cause you to lose weight, and a good amount. It's like a very strict Atkins, you are only allowed meat, eggs, and cheese. NOTHING else, except for at dinner, you can have a 1/2 cup of green veggies. Try it, it may work for you, but if you are on diabetes medicine, check with your Dr first. Ok...I'm done, I just felt your frustration, and wanted to be supportive! I'll keep you in my prayers for whatever you need to help you become successful! Cindy
Dana F.
on 11/1/03 5:09 am - Pace, FL
Thanks Cindy, I guess sometimes we need a kick in the pants to get us going! lol Luckily, I am not a diabetic. So the Akins diet may work for me. I have considered a liquid diet for faster results. I'm just ready to get the show on the road! I've been looking at Dr Jawad in Ocala. He seems like a VERY good surgeon and will do the lap on ppl with a higher BMI. Yes, I realize there are more risk, but isn't staying like this risky too? Amazingly, I don't have high blood pressure, I'm not diabetic, I don't have high cholesterol, nor do I have a high fat content in my blood! (tri-whatever that is called! ) I think it shocked the heck outta my PCP that I am over 400 lbs and doing as well as I am! And honestly...it shocked me too! lol But I do realize this....given time, I WILL have all of those things to deal with. At the moment my co-morbs are extreme joint pain, beginning stages of sleep apnea, and an irregular heart beat which may or may not be due to obesity. I have 4 brothers and all of them have this irregular heart beat as well, so this could be hereditary. None of our doc's seem too concerned with it. The only problem with Dr Jawad is he is over 7 hrs away! But honestly I think it would be worth all the efforts made just to have a more competent surgeon. So all you patients of Dr Jawad, give me your take on him!
exc98765
on 11/2/03 7:46 am - deltona, fl
Dana..there is always hope....Dr. Jawad was my surgeon and he is wonderful..I had my surgery on 8/19/03...I know that 7 hours is along trip..but it might be very well worth it... I had a BMI of 48 and he did my surgery Lap..I think that Dr. Jawad is a superb Physician and skilled surgeon...go to bariatriccenterofocala.com to read up on him...he is no longer associated with the Ocala Surgical Institute...he is at the same address and same phone number 352-351-5770...best of luck to you...debbie
Dana F.
on 11/2/03 2:18 pm - Pace, FL
A word of praise for Dr Jawad....I emailed him via his web site Friday...today I checked my email and there was his response! Now I know more than likely it was sent by a staff member...but wow! I'm impressed!
Elizabeth S.
on 11/4/03 12:49 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hi Dana, I go to Dr. Nye in Pensacola. He is GREAT! My BMI is barely 40 and they are doing everything they can to get me approved. E-mail me if you want to chat!
Marla S.
on 11/4/03 4:53 pm - Tampa-ish, FL
Not sure where on this site I read a posting from a lady on the east coast of FL who was over 800# and had surgury. She is down to 400, so it can be done with the right doctor. Yes there are risks. Marla
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/03 11:58 am
Dana of course there's Hope, the thing is that you need to find another surgeon, I can recommend you Dr. Rosenthal in Cleveland Clinic, Florida, that's in Weston, he have patients from all over Florida because he is THE BEST! he's the only surgeon in Florida that perform Lap RNY GP in people over 350 pounds, because he's experience is extended... research and you'll see.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views