Pre-op diet-help

melati
on 10/31/03 7:53 am - Miami, FL
Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some info about the pre-op diet. I'm told I have to have a shake for breakfast and lunch and protein and veggies for dinner. Also that they can't operate if I haven't complied with it. Does this just mean that they can't operate until you lose weight? I remember the nurse said you must lose 8 lbs to show you have "will power" Also, does someone know where to get protein shakes at a decent price? Just had to ask since no one at the surgeon's office is helping me. Julie
Joseph N.
on 11/1/03 10:45 pm - Clearwater, FL
Julie: I am not familiar with folks being told to go with protein shakes prior to surgery. Most surgeons ask that you go on an Atkins type diet prior to surgery to help shrink the size of your liver. It helps during the surgery! It sounds like the nurse you were speaking to was talking out of an oriface other than her mouth, if you get my drift. In some offices the staff is not that educated. Joe in Clearwater 334/268/185
ROSEMARY M.
on 11/2/03 11:53 pm - PLANTATION, FL
Hi Julie! I am scheduled to have my surgery at Cleveland Clinic in Weston with Dr. Szomstein on 12/2 (yet, I am still waiting for ins. approval). I was told that I must start protein shakes 2 weeks prior to surgery. Every surgeon's office is different. Also, the shakes we were told to use must have a minimum of 20 grams of protein, low in carbohydrates and 5 or less grams of sugar. The shakes that are recommended are Met Rx with 16 oz. skim milk, Myoplex or Ultrapure Protein Shake which has 35 g. of protein per 11 oz. can. With my surgeon, all I am allowed are the protein shakes for the 2 weeks prior to surgery (which, as you will note by my date, interferes with Thanksgiving!) Hope this helps you out. I found Suzanne Somers Protein Shakes on Home Shopping Network -- they have 20 grams of protein and 6 g. of carbohydrates which may work out. They have Vanilla, Chocolate and Orange Cream. $24.95 per can plus S & H.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views