Dr keith Kim Celebration florida?

Maria612
on 10/15/09 2:36 am
Hi, has anyone had Dr kim for a surgeon?  Can you tell me about his protocall?  What does he want to see done before surgery?  How is his bedside manner?  Would you use him again if you had the choice?  I have picked him because of his affiliation to the hospital (it had to be a center of excellence hospital) my insurance requires that and I am just curious how things turned out.  Oh I am having an RNY.  Maria
FigureYou Out
on 10/15/09 4:34 am - Kissimmee, FL

Maria,

You are in great hands with Dr. Kim.  Other than the information sessions held at the hospital you won't meet him until your pre-op appointment.  I was banded by Dr. Kim in June and I can't say enough about him or his staff.  They are friendly, down to earth, non judgemental and just the nicest people I have ever met!

Remember though that Dr. Kim is VERY strict as to what you can and can't do prior to and after your surgery with regards to eating.  There are pre-op liquid diets (I had nothing but protein shakes, yogurt and 1 cup of raw veggies a day for 2 weeks prior to surgery) and post op diets as well (by week three after surgery I had never been so happy to see refried beans or ricotta cheese in my life) but they are there to help you succeed. 

If I had the choice I would definitely use him again!

If you want to chat about anything or have any questions just let me know....

Kristina

maris_38
on 10/15/09 8:49 pm - Orlando, FL
I looked into a lot of different programs and surgeons in the Central Florida area, and I picked Dr Kim because he is very straight-forward, is all about the facts and the science, and tells you how it is without sugar-coating it (without being rude or nasty in any way).

He puts a huge emphasis on preparing for the surgery, and on the post-surgery program.  He is very strict with what he allows and doesn't allow.  Eg: pre surgery, there is a liquid diet for 2 weeks. This sucks, but is designed to shrink your liver so that you have the best possible chance of having the surgery done laprascopically vs open (lap carries fewer risks).  Unlike some other surgeons he's not looking for a specific amount of weight to be lost before surgery - and won't cancel it if you haven't lost "x" amount of weight - but he does emphasize that this is something proactive you can do to improve your chances of a successful surgery.

He and his practice are very organized: you will have pre-surgery blood tests, you will most likely be given scripts for potassium, pain-killers and an anti-nausea medication to get filled before the surgery so you have it waiting when you get home.  The two times I've called post-surgery, with concerns I've gotten a call back within 15 mins (called after hours).  You will have a class that takes a full morning that covers the surgical process (in detail) so you know exactly what to expect, and it includes a nutrition class. You will be given a binder to take all the information home and use it as a reference.  You'll also have your resting metabolic rate measured before surgery (and in the follow ups after surgery). The exercise physiologist and the nutritionist come see you while you're still in the hospital - Bill (the exercise guy) will show you the exercises you need to do to prevent blood clots in the first couple of months after the surgery.  I could go on... but you get the idea!

For RNY'ers the post surgery nutrition is pretty strict (judging by what I see others posting that their surgeons allow) - but Dr Kim goes by the science, surveys, results.  He will tell you: no alcohol for a year after surgery, no getting pregnant for at least 18 months after surgery, no carbonated beverages (eg: soda of any kind) EVER again.  For the first six months you are not to have rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, nuts, popcorn, crackers.  Honestly, this was more a mental challenge than anything else, but it has broken the carb "addiction" for me!  Dr Kim will emphasize over and over and over that the surgery itself is only a small part of the process... that if you want the results you must comply with the program.  

That said, you have the full support of all his folks to do this: the psychologist that will do your eval pre-surgery has had RNY herself - and gives very good, customized, brutally honest advice about things that you specifically need to look out for; the nutritionist is extremely helpful as is everyone else.  So while he's strict, you're definitely being given all the support and advice you need to be successful.  Support groups continue (and are free) at least twice a month - the psychologist attends at least one, a social worker leads another, and Dr Kim attends as much as he can (which is quite often).

To sum up his bedside manner: highly professional.  He's not a "hearts and flowers" or "warm fuzzies" kind of guy, but is (in my experience) a calm, caring, kind man - but isn't going to pat your hand and tell you that everything is fine if you aren't doing your part.  I don't think he's the scolding type (I've not had to find out!) - more like the parent who is more disappointed than mad

Sorry this got a little long... to sum up: I'd use him again in a heartbeat, he's exactly what I wanted in a surgeon - technically excellent, not out to "sell" me anything, keeps up with his research and modifies his program accordingly.  For what it's worth, I've had no complications, a smooth recovery (that doesn't mean it was easy - just that nothing abnormal happened), and my results to date are in my ticker below.

You'll be in excellent hands with him.
Maria612
on 10/15/09 9:51 pm
thank you both for the replies, they were very helpful and informative.  I am so looking forward to a healthier life free from bondage from food.  Maria
IGDiva
on 10/21/09 1:35 pm - Orlando, FL
I am a pre op patient of Dr. Kim, I go in the first week of January for my procedure.  I have been extremely impressed with the staff at Dr. Kim's.  My mom and I really feel comfortable in making the decision to go with Dr.  Kim.  I am a self pay patient who has never even had a broken bone before, let alone been admitted to a hospital. 

I attended my first support group there last week, wow what a tremendous motivator! Just amazing seeing and hearing other people's success stories. They even open the support group to other doctor's and hospital's patients.  They have asked for me to lose 5 lbs before the surgery, take vitamins twice a day, and if you are a smoker you need to quit completely before Dr. Kim will schedule you (not a smoker just have heard this stressed over and over).  Have you attended an info session at Celebration, yet? 

Good Luck!  Let me know if you need any support, it would be great to know someone else in the area going through the process.
Lisa
HW 380/SW303/CW203  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views