Gainesville area

JR3072
on 10/10/09 12:38 pm - FL
Hi everyone!  I have started the process for RNY with Dr. Ben David at Shands in Gainesville.  I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with Dr. Ben David and the program at Shands.  My paperwork has been submitted to the insurance company and I am just waiting to hear. 

Also - are there any support groups in the Gainesville area?  

Thanks!

Jenn

Nora73
on 10/11/09 3:14 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hey Jenn,

I am just starting out and your doctor is the only one I could find to except my insurance... He is still 400 miles away, but so worth it!  What is your insurance? And what all did you have to do to get all your paperwork submitted?

I'm going to be traveling there the end of the month for his class, and I am meeting this week with a psyhchologist here  and I have to meet up with Dr. Ben Davids  Nutritionist they said....

I'm very excited to start, I have quit smoking ( a year ago now) and have lost about 20 pounds

by giving up fast foods & all sodas.... sweet tea is my downfall!

Message me sometimes!

Nora
HW 372  SW 316 CW 190 7/21/11

JR3072
on 10/11/09 9:54 pm - FL
Hi Nora!  I have BCBS of FL for my insurance.  I had to go to the info class and then gert bloodwork, an abg (arterial blood gas), ekg, upper gi series and the psych eval.  I am at the point that they are submitting to the insurance company for approval.  I am hoping that doesn't take too long.  I am hoping to have the surgery before the end of the year.

I am working on giving up diet soda.  It is my downfall.  But this isn't the week to do that - I have a big event.  So I will start to work on that after this week. 

I found the class to be interesting and informative.  Dr. Ben David can come across as brusk in the class.  But I think that is because he wants everyone to clearly understand what is ahead before they actually end up in his office.  I found him at my consult to be personable and caring and really interested in what is best for me.

Do you know if you want lapband or RNY?  

Jenn
Nora73
on 10/12/09 12:19 am - Pensacola, FL
I think I am leaning towards the RNY.. I just got off the phone with Dr Ben's office and I am going to be attending the class at 5pm tomorrow!!! I am all excited, and scared..but, I want and need this so much.. with six very active sons  this will be a blessing!

I am going to do my physiologist and nutritionist stuff here and do the  rest up there...

I lived in Gainesville for a few years back in 1995 - 97 ..

looking up hotels now!!

good luck with your approval!

Nora

gripofgrace
on 10/12/09 3:26 am
Dr Ben-David just did my RNY a week ago. He was wonderful! The people in the office really seem to have it together...I have had NO problems with them. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!

Leslie
               SW 233/ CW 144/ GW 145   HT 5'6"  

Nora73
on 10/12/09 5:39 am - Pensacola, FL

That is wonderful Leslie!! How are you feeling??

What can I expect after the class, do I just go home and call for an appointment?  Since I am driving six hours to get there - I would love to get in an appointment to see him but don't know how long he would take to see me! I dont have endless funds and can't spend the week in a hotel... would be great if he could give me all the bloodwork orders to bring back with me so I can have them done here! but again, its going to be January before my PCP can see me. Still calling him to see if there is a cancelation.

Nora

JR3072
on 10/12/09 6:03 am - FL
Leslie - how are you feeling a week out?  I just got confirmation today that the insurance approved it and I got my date - Dec 7th!    I am excited but nervous at the same time.

Can you share what you did to prepare besides what was on the sheet they gave you for the high protein diet one week out and liquids one day out?

Did you have alot of pain?  How was your hospital stay?  When are you planning on going back to work?

Any info you can share would be great!  I really like Dr. Ben David and the office staff - they have been really helpful and nice!

Jenn
gripofgrace
on 10/12/09 9:12 am
Jenn,

Congratulations!!!! That's great news!

I am actually really surprised at how great I feel. When I first came out of surgery I was in pain and it felt different than I expected, but it was well managed with a morphine pump. The second day was less pain and still manageable. The third day they took me off of the pump and gave me liquid pain meds, but I probably could have just taken tylenol. I came home Wednesday. I took meds the first two nights home and haven't taken any since. I have a very slight soreness but I barely notice. The five incisions do not hurt at all and are healing very nicely. I had no drain, ever.

The hospital stay was comfortable, the staff were all very nice. I did have to remind them of things often...it seemed like one person didn't know what the other was doing. I'm not sure where the fault lies. They were still very friendly, understanding, and gentle.

I work from home so I am able to do that now but if I had to go to work I would probably wait one more week just because I get tired so easily and I need to learn to master the liquids, proteins, vitamins schedule a little better.

I am so excited for you...please let me know if I can offer anymore help!

Leslie

gripofgrace
on 10/12/09 8:54 am
Nora,

Yep. You just go home, process all the information you heard and call the next day for an appointment. You can look back over my blogs but I'm pretty sure it was a couple of weeks before I got an appointment. You may be able to talk to them and tell them you are coming from so far, maybe they will schedule you in, not sure about that. I had ALL of my testing and labs done there at Shands -on the same day of my appointment. It worked out great for me.

Good Luck...hope everything goes well!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Nora73
on 10/24/09 2:53 pm - Pensacola, FL
Leslie,

Sorry, I didn't see this post until just now... I went for the class and I was able to get my test done that next day due to not fasting I had to stay over another day... but at least I got it done.

I'm busy trying to find a phychologist and nutritionist here to get that over with and also-- I finally got a little bump in seeing my PCP i'm now waiting on 12/21/09 instead of  1/20/2010..... but thinking of changing doctors to get it sooner  since I am returning to Dr BD on 11/12 (have to check calender)

can you break down your diet for me so I have a clue what will be needed after surgery...I know sip sip water lol and the chewables but what brand and how much mg is needed?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views