Need Advice

Trudy M.
on 9/23/03 8:43 am - West Palm Beach, Fl
Hi Everyone! I have been coming to the board at least once a week. Anita, I am so sorry to hear about your problems, I hope you are doing well today. I started the process back in May '03, and so far I have had my Psyc eval, nutritionist eval, and my Comorbidities verified, submitted my 25 year diet history, including programs that I was on, some Physician attended, most not...Now I have been waiting for my Doctor to send the surgeon the letter of necessity, etc. Brief history, I approached my dr. who initially did not want me to have the surgery because she said I wasn't big enough (my BMI is about 44), but after I came back and spoke with her about my struggle to lose, and how my age was a factor and my health has been deteorating in the past two years, etc., she then said she would support me if I wanted the surgery. (she is overweight too). Long story short, I gave her the information that the Surgeon needs to submit to the Insurance back the first of August, but as yet, she has not sent them anything. I am currently waiting to see a cardiologist (oct 16) due to some things she saw on the heart monitor she had me wear. I spoke with her about needing a letter, but can't understand why she hasn't sent it. I tried to contact the office last week to find about the referral to card., and after 4 days of trying to get them on the phone, I finally FAXED a message with ATTENTION written large on the front---in about 10 minutes they did get me. Nuff said---as you can tell I am not too happy about my Primary situation. We are all ready to go except for her stuff--what should I do? Would it hurt me to change my doctor or help me to get one that is more supportive? My Health is not getting any better here---anybody have a similar experience? I have CIGNA HMO. Many Thanks- Trudy
Kathleen L.
on 9/23/03 11:30 am - Pensacola, FL
Trudy, I would call Cigna and complain about your PCP. You are her customer and Cigna's. If you don't get an immediate response tell them you are calling the newspaper, AMA, dept. of insurance and GOD. This isn't right, you need to get mad and light a fire. Hugs, Kathy
John B.
on 9/23/03 9:52 pm - New Port Richey, FL
From one lightweight to another, I too had problems with my PCP. Unfortunitily I just calling them every other day till the letter was sent to my surgeon. Guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease. In regards to your PCP stating you weren't big enough, you just need to get tough skinned. In the hospital I was told this by 90% of the people I dealt with. I felt like I had to justify my surgery with them over and over again. Best of luck to you.
Anita R.
on 9/23/03 11:40 pm
Trudy - I fully understand your concens and had to stay on top of my doctors also just for them to get the information in for the approval process. I would suggest that you explain to your PCP that she is holding up the approval cycle and let her know how serious you are about having this surgery - let her know your issues with her and that you intend to file a grievance and possibly change PCPs if needed - be sure to get a copy of your entire chart just to be safe. If possible - I would not suggest switch doctor's at this time - unless it is your last resort. Just to let you know - after I have had my surgery and even with my primary's letter - my primary now refuses to see me if I have any issues with the surgery. Well - let's see I guess that really could relate to almost every aspect of my health! I have decided to switch my doctor after surgery for better care. I wish you the very best in your WLS journery and DO NOT give up - be persistant!
Trudy M.
on 9/24/03 10:40 am - West Palm Beach, Fl
Thanks Everyone for the encouragement. I actually have asked my Surgeon what they think. I am going to call my Dr tomorrow and ask them to get a message to her, or I might mail her a little note instead. We will see what that does in the next week. This is so ridiculous. And so are all the insurance hoops. Thanks again to everyone. Good luck and god blees you all. I'll let you know. Trudy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views