Thinking about surgery but torn between the Band and Sleeve

Melfi
on 10/7/09 1:12 pm
I just wanted to get opinions from people as to why they chose the band or the sleeve. I am a little torn between the two. My insurance covers both of these so that is not an issue.
Thanks
KimM.
on 10/8/09 12:42 am
I've heard good things about both, but any procedure depends on the person.  Someone with relatively low BMI can do well with the band, but it's been shown to be the least effective and slowest weight loss tool.  There are some risks as well, such as erosion, slippage, etc.

The sleeve is a more assertive approach and a lot of people do well with it.  As it's a surgery there are also obviously some risks, but no intestinal re-routing is done and no artificial devices are implanted.

If your insurance covers it (and you can fight for it even if it doesn't), and depending on your BMI and any comorbities, you might want to research the duodenal switch.  The sleeve is actually the 1st stage of that operation.  The 2nd stage involves rerouting the intestine to create a state of malapsorption.  So you have a resrtrictive and malabsorbative approach.

Foe me, restriction isn't enough; if it was, I could just follow the South Beach diet.  But I've been overweight all my life regardless of what eating plans or physical activity I tried. 

Definitely do your research.  Ask questions and listen to peoples' experiences on this site.  Each procedure has its champions.  It's all going to depend on which approach is best for you.  Good luck on your journey.
Redhaired
on 10/8/09 5:20 am - Mouseville, FL
That is a decision only you can make.  But I would advise you to hang out on the revision forum to get an idea of the challenges each may present.

JenCat84
on 10/25/09 9:52 am
 I chose the sleeve because I needed a permanent solution with low maintenance.  I was self-pay and couldn't afford fills/unfills or god forbid a revision.  I did a lot of research and ultimately felt it was my best option.  I would definitely encourage you to lurk on the boards around here to get the general feel and do some research of your own.  

Good luck!

I started at 324lbs and a size 26.  After losing 100 lbs, I became pregnant with my first daughter, who was born in March 2011.  My second daughter was born in September 2013.  I have maintained a healthy lifestyle and now hover around 160lbs.  I would like to get back to the 140lbs before I became pregnant with my second daughter.  The sleeve literally gave me LIFE - two beautiful, healthy little girls.  My husband had his VSG with Dr. Marema on 10/1/2012 and is on his weight loss journey, currently down 90lbs. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views