Any recent post ops experience this?

GeorgineVJ
on 9/19/03 1:58 pm - Caribou, ME
I have been feeling a little "off" this week. I haven't been hungry, I've been bordering on nauseous. Anytime I try and eat I can only stand a couple bites, then I'm uncomfortable for 15 minutes or so and I don't want any more. I am almost 4 weeks postop. The only things I seem to want are my protein shakes, unsweetened applesauce, and water. I had trouble getting my water in before this week, now I feel as though I can't get enough! It's very strange. I've gone from eating HUGE portions to not even wanting to eat. I can't make myself eat mashed potatoes, eggs, soup, or anything. It's like all my tastes have changed and now I either don't like anything, or else I just don't know what I like now. And since my schedule is all off and I'm gagging off and on, and I cannot "gulp" water down, I'm finding it very hard to get all my pills and supplements in. I still have to break my actigall in three pieces to get it down, and pills tickling on the back of my throat makes me gag and almost throw them back up. I'm not dehydrated and I'm mostly keeping my energy up through protein supplements and drinks, as well as my multivitamin and b-12 & calcium - am I hurting myself by not wanting to eat, or is my body just going through an adjustment and I'll get through it? Did anyone go through not wanting to eat? This is so weird for me.
exc98765
on 9/20/03 9:28 am - deltona, fl
Georgine...so sorry that ypu feel icky..I have the same problem at 4 weeks post op....I can't even get in my protein shakes or my vitamins for 2 weeks now....foeget about regular food....today I had the dry heaves all day...I wonder if maybe we caught a flu bug...hope you get to felling better real soon..Debbie
Anita R.
on 9/21/03 12:31 am
Georgine - Gee - it seems as though either there is a bug going around or you, Debbie, and I are going through the same thing. and maybe it's just our bodies trying to readjust. So far I have lost over 46 lbs in 4 weeks and when I told my family - they have a different reaction than others that have had Gastric Bypass surgery. That amount of weight loss in such a short amount of time has got to cause changes within our bodies. The weight loss that we are experiencing is not normal for the person that has not had this surgery; therefore, maybe we should not treat the changes as a normal person would. I was told that if I have any other issues to go back on clear liquids for several days and try to add others foods a little at a time. I am feeling so much better now. I have been taking crystal lite, water and jell-o and am feeling fine. Hope that you have the same success and do NOT have to feel the full impact of the dumping sydrome. Another thing I am going to do when I do start adding back foods is to knock down the total amount of food down to 4 - 6 ozs per each meal and 4 oz snacks. I mean it does not make sense to me to push 8 oz of food into a stomach pouch that can only hold 2 -3 oz. Maybe 8 oz in one setting is just too much food, even if it is done over a period of 1 hour. What are your thoughts? Feel better and keep in touch.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views