ANOTHER NIGHT OF DUMPING - ER VISIT

Anita R.
on 9/18/03 4:04 am
Well, I had another night of dumping - could not eat or drink anything yesterday - this is the 2nd day. I went to the ER at FL Hospital at Lake Underhill and sat for 2 hours and still had not been registered. I called Dr. Overcash and he told me to drive to Ocala, so I did about 9:00 pm last night and went to the ORMC ER. They brought me back to a room and said that I was dehydrated and made sure that they put in an IV for fluids. I also got a shot of Phenagan to stop the Nausea, an IV bag with medication for the stomach spassiums, took blood work, abdomen x-rays to make sure the pouch was okay, and then I was told to follow-up with Dr. Overcash. I made the long drive back to Orlando and slept all morning. I am now back on a clear liquid diet for several days. This has got to be the worst feeling in the world. The doctor at the ER thought there might be a possibility that it could be a stomach virus - I have followed the MRMC Nutrition plan to a tee and actually feel as though it might be too much food for now, so I am going to curb it down from 8 oz at a meal to maybe 6 when I do go back to the Full liquid phase.
GeorgineVJ
on 9/18/03 5:59 am - Caribou, ME
Sorry to hear you've had all this drama... I have been having a strange week as well. This is the first week where I am really really wanting water and able to drink 16 ounces in about 1/2 hour. I have had no appetite, and so have been taking in protein and calcium through a protein shake. Nothing tastes right, I'm feeling a little green, and I started my period a week early. Also, i tried to swallow an Actigall without splitting it and had PAIN. Not ready for big pills yet. I'm feeling fine strength wise and I know it's just because I'm getting my protein and supplements in. Sometimes, even though you follow the diet to a T, your body still talks to you and you know your body better than anyone else. If you're having a hard time with food, i was told to go back to liquids.. then if that's OK full liquids, then if that's OK, back to pureed - but to do the steps gradually an hour apart. If you can't keep liquids down though, you definitely need to get IV fluids. I'm sorry you had to drive to Ocala but I'm glad Dr. O had the hospital take you right in. We all heal at different rates and sometimes we develop different sensitivities than others. I hope that you get answers for what's going on and don't have to go through more dumping episodes. I can't imagine how painful that would be to be heaving while still fresh from major abdominal surgery. *hugs* Hang in there, Anita!
shbama
on 9/18/03 8:30 am - Brandon, Fl
You poor thing. I hope you are better now. Do you feel it was a stomach virus? Sharon
garywill
on 9/18/03 12:39 pm - Sun Valley, NV
Anita, Hang in there! I hope things are going better now My prayers are with you. I have had my stress test cancelled twice. It is now set for Monday. Need that done and the letter from my doctor, then will have everything sent to Dr. Overcash's office. Want to get it all in before our cruise on the 28th. Hopefully I will have have good news when we return. Have this thing now of craving sweets. I have gained 5 pounds since my visit with Dr. O last month. Need to lose some as I will be eating on the ship. Take care. Gary
Mirabelle
on 9/18/03 2:28 pm
Anita, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this problem. I am not quite sure what the dumping means or comes from but I am sure I will find out in time. Seems I have read allot over the last 8 months of people dumping because they use refined sugar. But I know you said you were using the Atkins drinks and they don't contain refined sugar. Maybe you are lactose intolerant...I am and use Lactaid instead of regular milk, that could drive your tummy nuts if you are lactose intolerant. I just looked and Lactaid also contain 12gr of sugar. Regular milk has sugar....hmmm have you thought about that?
John B.
on 9/19/03 3:24 am - New Port Richey, FL
Anita, Glad you're feeling better now. My only concern is that you were given Phenagan and allowed to drive home. When I had nausea in hospital that drug was given to me and it put me to sleep. Be sure to drinking your liquids, you don't want another trip to the ER. John
BreWilliams
on 9/19/03 1:07 pm - Orlando, FL
I to am so sorry to hear about your dumping issues and having to drive to Ocala from Orlando probably made if feel worse, huh? That hospital in Lk. Underhill is always WAY crowded. I think alot of under-insuranced people live close to that one. Florida Hospital in Altamonte has a shorter wait time. Hopefully, you won't need it but it's worth a try. You are going to be more beautiful after all this is over...Keep you head-up better mall days are coming...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views