Question about IVC filters and body fat scales

GeorgineVJ
on 9/16/03 7:21 am - Caribou, ME
I have an interesting question. Since I won't be seeing my surgeon for a few more weeks (6 week checkup/exercise clearance), I thought I'd get a set of bathroom scales so I can weigh weekly. However, while looking at different scales available, I see the kind that also measure body fat by impedance. I noticed a warning not to use that type of scale if you have a pacemaker or other medical equipment internally, and wondered if that also includes an IVC filter. The particular scale that i was looking at used a 9V DC battery. Do any of you have any insight on this? I know I probably need to get a medic alert ID for my IVC filter, but I was thinking perhaps now I need to do a little research and find out what I shouldn't subject myself to with this object inside (eg. MRI, airport xrays, etc.). Thought I'd bring this question to the board in case others are now wondering as well. Thanks!
Joseph N.
on 9/16/03 12:29 pm - Clearwater, FL
The warning is in regard to equipment powered by battery or some other source. An IVC filter is plastic and not powered.
John B.
on 9/16/03 10:25 pm - New Port Richey, FL
Georgine, I too have an Vena Cava Filter in me. It was needed when the blood thinners didn't stop my PE, but that's another story. I asked my pulmunologist about this and it should not set off the medal detector or cause a problem with an MRI down the road. Where did you get your Medic Alert ID? Do you get to choose what's written on them?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views