MAJOR DUMPING EPISODE

Anita R.
on 9/16/03 4:58 am
Just wanted to touch base with you guys and let you know that this morning I had to go to the FL Hospital Urgent Care Center because I felt so bad. I was in a hurry and tried to drink my breakfast as the High protein milk by itself and ended up having almost immediate dumping symptoms. I decided to leave work and go to the clinic and thank God it was a GREAT one. They got me in and I actually ended up throwing up twice while in their office and then once on the way home. God I never want to experience that feeling again - the pain was so GREAT! It felt as though I was having a heart attack in my chest area. They gave me a shot for the nausea, a GI ****tail for the acid reflux, and a prescription for an antibiotic for my incision and told me that I needed to use wet to dry wraps. The shot made me very drowsy, so two of my co-workers came and picked me up and took me home. Not sure if the milk was the problem or if it was more in the large 8 oz intake of the milk, but I will not be doing that again! I came home and feel asleep almost immediately and slept @ 4 hours. All I could stomach was a Blue Bunny Ice Cream bar that Georgine Johns told me about - thank God for Blue Bunny ice cream bars! I am feeling somewhat better, but be wise to put a label on when it was made and the expiration of the skim milk when mixing your skim milk powder with skim milk to make the high protein milk, because I could not tell if the milk was bad or not.
Bre W.
on 9/16/03 5:34 am
I am so sorry that you were sick but at least you know you won't be able to overeat or eat the bad stuff. Do you work downtown orland. Feel better...
GeorgineVJ
on 9/16/03 7:20 am - Caribou, ME
Anita, I am so sorry you experienced this. I have not dumped yet and am really hoping to avoid it entirely, but I had a very painful experience this past weekend. In the past i had always taken my meds by swallowing with a bite of food. NOT ANYMORE! I tried to take one of my pills with a bite of egg, and instantly had pain that lasted about 15 minutes.. I really thought I would prefer dying to experiencing this pain.. and when it passed, I was weak and shaky for the rest of the evening. So always take your pills with liquid. As far as the high protein milk goes, Anita, I am wondering if you could be makeing yourself sick from the increased lactose. A lot of post ops become sensitive to lactose after surgery because it is a form of sugar (milk sugar). Perhaps normal amounts of it don't make one dump or as sick, but when you double up the milk amount in half the liquid, maybe it's enough to make you sick. The milk wouldn't necessarily be bad. I would assume you could taste if the milk was bad or not... I purchased procel and up cal D to increase my protein and calcium intake. Both are powdered and available at Vitalady.com and mix very well with anything I mix them in. You can mix with a protein drink (that's how I make my mock mocha frappachino) or soup or spaghetti sauce or whatever. The nurse-practitioner I saw yesterday told me to consider mixing skim milk powder in my stuff to up the protein and calcium (I told her I was using a small amount of half and half in my shakes for creaminess), but I don't think I will bother after reading about your experience, Anita. I hope you feel better soon!
Mirabelle
on 9/16/03 3:51 pm
Anita, I'm sorry to read you had a bad day. Hopefully you will get it all straight so that doesn't happen again. I've been keeping up on your progress. I go back to my PM on Fri. By now I should have had my referrels for Beneitz, ultrasound and pulmonary elvation wasn't done since I need referrals for all. I can't believe 3 weeks passed and I am no where near a date as yet. I'm taking notes so I can refer back to this you and Georgina have gone through. This dumping thing I am not quite sure if its running to the bathroom which is what it sounds like or just getting sick from something your over ate or drank,either way its got to hurt.
John B.
on 9/16/03 10:20 pm - New Port Richey, FL
Anita.....I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had just gotten home from my initial hosp stay and had some chicken broth with protein added to it. About 5 minutes later, BAM!! I had the most sever pains in upper and lower abdomen. I couldn't even stand up it hurt so bad. Had to have two friends help walk me around, and ending up calling the surgeon on his day off. The surgeon said, it was too soon to try the extra protein and that I had dumped. He just had me ride it out, which took about 1/2 hour. Since that time I haven't tried extra protein again. I NEVER want to experiance that again. As far as your wound care, I too did the wet to dry dressings. I had a home health nurse come in a couple of times a week to verify the wound was closing correctly. Best of luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 366 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1440 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1432 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1575 views